“Show me the Monet”

Giverny and Monet Small-Group Half-Day Trip
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Giverny
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: These beautiful gardens inspired Impressionist Claude Monet's most famous work.
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I went on this half-day excursion to Giverny from a local travel agency Paris. I didn’t plan anything ahead of time and booked the trip a few days before. It all worked out well. The house and gardens were definitely worth the trip. You don’t need to spend more than a few hours here. You can truly appreciate the beauty of what Monet saw and later didn’t see in his final years. The pond with the lilies and Japanese Bridge makes you feel like Monet did a poor job of showing the beauty of the place. His house and garden as also well kept as they were in his lifetime and you are given a tour of his house. A great excursion to take from Paris.

2  Thank RovingProfessor
Write a ReviewReviews (6,474)

Reviewed 6 February 2012

If you are a fan of Monet and are near teh town of Giverny, then do not pass up the opportunity to see the Gardens that were his inspiration. I loved walking around the pond, snapping photos, playing with the light, and imagining what it would be to spend many years painting from different perspectives. That said....it is very, very crowded and there is not much to be seen in the house. It is not a place for leisurely strolling (at least not in August) and there is not a quiet spot to just sit. You are jockying for a place to see and pushed along the entire time. I'm glad I visited but understand that this is not a day in the park!

4  Thank kd626
Reviewed 4 February 2012

If you miss this incredible place, then you have never been to France. Simply over the top in beauty, peace, style, you name it. The gardens are beyond belief. The house comes from a storybook. Tranquility surrounds you. You must go. Just go there.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Don't line up to go into the house ...go to the gift shop first when it isn't crowded as there are so many very very special!

1  Thank Sandra A
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I was travelling solo and decided not to drive to Giverny by myself. There's probably a better, less expensive way of getting there, but I was very pleased booking through a website I found. I crossed my fingers et voila! It went well. I booked through Paris Vision. A minivan picks you up at your hotel or apartment (as in my case). The drive is about 2hrs. It's a nice ride with lots to see along the way. Upon arrival they let view the grounds and later the Impressionists Museum at your leisure. Budget your time well, there's lots to see before meeting to return.

The grounds and house are very well kept. The lily pond and bridges are probably just as Monet maintained them I suspect. There are so many different varieties of garden plants and flowers. I heard many comment on the special varieties. Too bad you can't take photos in the house, oh well. It's a big surprise when you walk into Monet's studio. There are many of his famous paintings (he painted so many of the popular ones) placed on the easels and on the walls (all the way up to the ceiling!).

The house is quaint and very suitable for entertaining. All the ground floor rooms have french doors leading to the terrace which encompasses the front. You can just imagine all the parties he must have had with all his fellow artists! It's a beautiful country house decorated in the traditional French Country style. Argh! Too bad you can't take pictures!!!

Don't miss the large gift shop and other smaller shops in the village.

The Impressionism Museum is fantastic too. Lots and lots to see there.
I wish I had more time to explore the village. That's my only regret... not having more time there, but having someone drive me door-to-door is a treat too.

4  Thank chuffed-california