“Very good, not great”

Ranked #5 of 347 Restaurants in Le Mans
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 October 2015

My wife and I ate at Le Grenier a Sel because of the high ratings on Tripadvisor and because they were open on Monday night when many others were closed.

We each had the 39€ prix fixe menu. We both started with escargots, presented differently than classical, but very good, with a delicious foamed sauce and a parmesan cracker on top.

I chose fish (I can't remember the name). There were 4 small pieces of fish on a nice sauce with mushrooms. It started off well, but the 4th piece tasted fishy. I didn't want to deal with the problem in French to my waiter, so I said nothing, but was disappointed.

My wife chose porcelet (pork), which she loved.

Dessert for me was an apple pie with buttered cake (excellent) and for my wife a fruit cocktail, which she really liked.

The service was good, but not attentive enough for my taste.

Overall I give the restaurant a 4 and my wife gives it a 5. If I could, I would give them a 4½ star rating.

Reviewed 26 August 2015

just good food, that's it ;
no industrial food, not a lot of choice because it's homemade
not too fat, tasty,
in one word just good

5  Thank ABDN2
Reviewed 21 June 2015

I had dinner here with some guests over Le Mans 24 hour weekend. Town was crowded but we had made a prior reservation for seven. The restaurant is very nice, food and wine are also excellent but overall I want to remark the extraordinary service provided by the owner and his wife.

1  Thank Bikesub
Reviewed 18 June 2015

4 of us went for a celebratory dinner after slumming it on chips and beer at les 24 heures. It was easy to book by email, even for what must be one of the town's busiest weekends. Decor is beige and bland but the flowers were sophisticated. The meal didn't disappoint, with the amuse bouches, puddings and cheese all highlights. Small glasses of scrambled eggs with fluffy truffly topping weredelicious, as were all the starters (well-presented and flavoured tuna tartare and a pretty, posh tomato timbale with mozzarella). Service is at the very attentive end of the scale and the staff are well trained, but nervous. It was nice to be spoilt and this meal rounded off our fun-packed weekend.

3  Thank ArchangelH
Reviewed 5 June 2015

We ate here during Motogp weekend.
It is stylishly decorated, quite contemporary.
The staff were really polite and friendly, the service was excellent.
The food was without question one of the best meals I have ever had, beautifully presented, perfectly cooked and tasted so good you never wanted it to end.

3  Thank Tim W