“Le Mans Classic”

Ranked #6 of 359 Restaurants in Le Mans
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2016 via mobile

Seven friends (late 40's early 50's) pre-booked a couple of weeks before arrival. The location is near to but not in the main square, just far enough away to be quiet but
minutes from the tram. First impression from the outside was really good. Inside it is spacious, with high ceilings and a calm atmosphere with a smart upmarket feel. Tables not too close and we definitely got the feeling this is not a restaurant to cram in too many covers to diminish the relaxed fell of the place. Service was attentive at all times with some helpful English spoken. The food was superb at every course with a nouvelle quisine look and we all enjoyed every single minute. Will definitely return. Thank you Grenier a Sel.

2  Thank nickfilleul

Reviewed 19 May 2016

We had a business dinner at Le Grenier. I have been to many restaurants in Le Mans, and this must be one of, if not the best in my opinion. The food has excellent presentation, and interesting and innovative variety of dishes, cooked to perfection. Portion sizes are just right for having a multi-course meal. The service is good in the sense that they have the right balance of attentiveness but leaving you in peace when it matters. The restaurant has a quiet, understated ambience and one can certainly conduct a conversation with fellow diners without "noise pollution". The wine list was excellent - I tried a recommended Jasniers (white wine from the region) and they have an awesome selection of Scotch Whiskey, Cognac and Armagnac! My only suggestion to make the dining experience better is to pay attention to the background music. We had Nina Simone on a loop for the 2.5 hours we were there. I like Nina Simone, but not on a loop for 2.5 hours! A small niggle - overall, a great experience and well worth the expense as a special treat.

1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 20 October 2015

My wife and I ate at Le Grenier a Sel because of the high ratings on Tripadvisor and because they were open on Monday night when many others were closed.

We each had the 39€ prix fixe menu. We both started with escargots, presented differently than classical, but very good, with a delicious foamed sauce and a parmesan cracker on top.

I chose fish (I can't remember the name). There were 4 small pieces of fish on a nice sauce with mushrooms. It started off well, but the 4th piece tasted fishy. I didn't want to deal with the problem in French to my waiter, so I said nothing, but was disappointed.

My wife chose porcelet (pork), which she loved.

Dessert for me was an apple pie with buttered cake (excellent) and for my wife a fruit cocktail, which she really liked.

The service was good, but not attentive enough for my taste.

Overall I give the restaurant a 4 and my wife gives it a 5. If I could, I would give them a 4½ star rating.

Reviewed 26 August 2015

just good food, that's it ;
no industrial food, not a lot of choice because it's homemade
not too fat, tasty,
in one word just good

5  Thank ABDN2
Reviewed 21 June 2015

I had dinner here with some guests over Le Mans 24 hour weekend. Town was crowded but we had made a prior reservation for seven. The restaurant is very nice, food and wine are also excellent but overall I want to remark the extraordinary service provided by the owner and his wife.

1  Thank Bikesub