“Hotel: Perfect Balance - bargain lunch/afternoon tea”
Review of La Mirande Hotel

La Mirande Hotel
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Avignon
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I've stayed at Le Crillon, L'Hotel and Lutetia in Paris so I know my top French hotels. La Mirande strikes the perfect balance between formality and relaxation. I found the staff friendly and helpful, the attention to detail in the decor beatiful and romantic, the rooms very comfortable (linen sheets and toiletries you'd actually want to buy). Breakfast/afternoon tea fantastic (dedicated pastry chef). Michelin-starred restaurant ok (but then I find most M-star cooking a bit fussy). 30 Euro M-star lunch a real bargain. Wine great. Location amazing, central but also quiet. Everything worked, from the shower to the internet connection, and somehow the lift was always on the floor you were. Now how do they do that?

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 August 2009

My girlfriends and I took a trip to Provence to celebrate turning 55, On the advice of a friend, we signed up for the cooking class at La Mirande. It was the highlight of an outstanding trip. Jean-Claude the chef was wonderful, an outstanding host as well as entertaining and fun. The food was the best we had all week and we had wonderful food everywhere we went. I would highly recommend this addition to anyone's stay in Provence, Avignon or La Mirande. All the staff we came in contact with for this time was outstanding and helpful as well.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank usjulia55
Reviewed 21 July 2009

This is a truly lovely hotel. Right slap bang in the centre. The staff were wonderful. The decoration beautiful and with real style and elegance. Not sure the food in the restaurant was quite up to the surroundings, but lovely to sit in the garden here or in the old restaurant. The rooms have everything you could wish for and just perfect. One of the best hotels I have stayed in in france.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank boomsnap
Reviewed 30 May 2009

The hotel location, ambience and rooms have a great reputation and promised much. They certainly didn't let us down. More disappointing was the famed restraunt. We had planned a special meal with friends flying in from the UK. Despite 3 months notice that we had a vegetarian in our party, and 3 separate reminders to the concierge, meat based appetizers were served. Main course for our friend was boiled vegetables. The sommelier lacked a basic understanding of his own wine list and was unable to couple the service of the white wine with entree. Bottles listed on the wine list were not available in the cellar. Service marginally improved after a complaint to the hotel management, but was generally met with gallic indifference.

In the past one would certainly take a vegetarian option as difficult in the south of France, but not at an expensive high class restaurant , and in particular for a cheese/egg eating vegetarian.

Much was also made of their status as a leading small hotel of the world. This does not include the manager sending a reply to an email request. I'm extremely glad that I didn't bring clients to this famed dining establishment and I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2008

My husband and I were traveling with my parents to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. We were using a new travel agent so naturally we were a little apprehensive about what properties she would pick for us. I had also read the reviews and that too made me a little nervous!

Let me say, anyone who doesn't like this hotel must be WAY too picky! We stayed in rooms 21 and 22 and they were fabulous! The bathrooms are spacious and well appointed. Upon our arrival we had figs, plums and grapes awaiting us in our room. Room 22 overlooks a lush courtyard.

The breakfast was included in our rate and was the typical European breakfast with cheeses, meat, fresh baked breads and pastries, granolas, yogurt and juices.

We had a special dinner on Tuesday evening that was held at a chefs table. There were only 12 seats and we also got a tour of their spectacular wine cellar. The meal itself could have been better but then my husband is a classical chef and I am a bit jaded! The ambiance in it's self was worth it!

I loved this hotel and its location right next to the Pope's Palace and all of Provence! If we could have, we would have stayed longer!!! Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the hotel!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family