All reviewscroissantsgreat locationsea view and balconysmall barold townthird floorbreakfast roomsea frontlobbyvacancespromenadedueuros
Reviewed 3 June 2018

This hotel was converted from one of the old stately mansions facing the seafront, popular during Edwardian times, and still retains some of the features. The dining room, where the buffet breakfast is served, has 20 foot high ceilings, original plasterwork and a very large ornate marble fireplace. The windows face the sea, across the busy main road. The Continental breakfast was good and included home made jam, as well as cereals, croissants, eggs, cheese, salami, fruit as well as orange and grapefruit juice, which was lovely. Our room was small but the view towards the sea, and the little balcony with room for two chairs, was lovely. The noise from the road did not disturb us and we enjoyed hearing the waves splashing over the pebble beach. I was surprised to see a comment from one guest who said the room was dirty as ours was clean. We found this hotel to be reasonably priced and would certainly consider staying here again when we return to Menton.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 401, which was small but had a very nice balcony facing the sea, across a busy road
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed there for 2 nights. Chose hotel only because of good location and did not have any 5star expectations but hotel did not hit even basics! Firstly, we arrive around 10am. There was only 1 receptionist at the desk and felt like our arrival disturbed her as she was having meal there (!), had to swallow food before saying good morning. Than she said check in at 3pm, leave luggage if you wish. We did. Came back at 3pm. Completed check in. Went to the room, were tired and decided to have shower and go for a quick nap. The moment i removed my shoes, i steped on the carpet and felt smth. It was a bunch of long red/brown hair laying on the floor! Disgusting! Looked at the entry door when going to bathroom-some kind of yellow oil leaking all the way down! Went to the shower-drain nearly blocked, stood like in a pool while water was running. After shower i obviously inspected the bed, sheets where changed. Went to bed. Few mimutes after 2 maids stood nyst outside our room door and chatted loudly. There was maid service door next to our room so i dont know why they chose to disturb guest and not to speak inside maid service. My boyfriend lost his patience and asked them to stop and leave. After short sleep we went to reception and showed in photos our complaints simply asking to fix them next day. Receptionists looked worried and apologetic, offered room move which we declined. They confirmed that next day 10am all will be sorted as they "want us to be happy". Guess what-nothing was done. Not even door wiped from that grease! IT IS BASICS-CLEANLINESS! Very disapointing. Would never go back. Lack of care and complete ignorance towards customers.
Few positives-breakfast was nice. Good location. Nice view from room to the city and mountains.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2018

Atmosphere of the 1920' ies. Location is excellent. The lift was small, only for one person and one small luggage. The room was small to two persons. The fitted carpet was old and needs to be renewed. No tv-channels in English.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 17 January 2018

i had some (new) earrings stolen from my room during the day when i was out - must have been room cleaners. Both receptionist and the Manager took the side of their staff and did absolutely nothing for me. Only £35 lost - my mistake for not putting them in the safe but really - it's too bad. I was very upset that staff so unhelpful and untrustworthy PLUS the food was rubbish!!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank dkgm2003
Reviewed 17 October 2017

This is a pretty typical 3* French hotel and dates from the glory days of Menton. This means it's right on the sea front and well-placed for shops, restaurants etc. As I see hotel rooms as a place to wash, sleep and store clothes this worked for me. There was a/c in the room but you have to turn it on. On the down side the rooms were small and, while well-laid out, they need redecoration. Some better towels would have been good too. And being a Brit the ability to make tea/coffee in my room is something I missed. My room was quiet and at the back but others I travelled with noted the noise if placed near the lift or near ground level.

The breakfast was pretty standard French hotel fare - coffee, juices, fruit, yogurts, pastries and a boil your own egg machine, which I just about understood by the end of my stay. It did the job.

There is a little bar and a games room of sorts, plus a sunny front terrace. Most of the other guests were elderly French and the place is much -aligned to them as core clientele.

Location aside the big plus is the staff who were really friendly and cheerful, as well as speaking good English

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends