“Best location and simple hotel”
Review of Hotel Le Royal

Hotel Le Royal
Ranked #118 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We choosed this hotel because of its location and it was definetely the right decision. The beach is right there, at night we sat in front of the open window and had a wonderful view on the see, early in the morning it is even better. The room was quite big, but very simple, nothing interesting inside, it's just a place where you sleep before you going to beach or travel in Nice and around.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Royal

Reviewed 12 December 2011

The Positive:

-The Hotel is in the best location. Everything in Nice that you want to do is a very short walk away, and being right on the Promenade des Anglais makes it even better. Our view from our room was facing away from the hotel, but you don't go to a place like Nice to hang out in the hotel room.
-There is internet access, however its for a price and much like most of Europe it is not available in the room, only the lobby.
-There is a "Fitness Center". Which is really only a suite sized room with a broken cable machine, an old bike, and a rowing machine.
-There were lots of activities offered by by the hotel.

The Negative
-The rooms, and pretty much the whole hotel was not clean. I have stayed at discount resorts in Mexico and Cuba which put the cleanliness of the Royal to shame. There was even a large patch of black mold in the bathroom. I wore white sock in the hotel room one night and after being on my feet for a minute or two my socks were died black as if i was walking in a campground.
-Our floor of our hotel smelled like baby powder (not kidding at all).
-The staff was not very polite. Most were simply short and did not seem very nice (maybe because I don't speak very much french) and other staff members were out and out rude. There was a few who were nice, I don't want to make it sound like they weren't nice.
-There is little to no sound proofing/insulation. Throughout the night it was quiet common to hear people in other rooms talking, watching tv, or even using the bathroom.

Overall this is a hotel that is less than what I payed for in a location that is beyond what I paid, so to me it equaled out. I don't care to much where I sleep when I am in a place such as Nice. However my wife was very disapointed with the cleanliness. This hotel would be a Fantastic location with a complete renovation.

***Most important point***
-This hotel has a local reputation as a seniors hotel. My wife and I being in our late 20's were at least 30 to 40 years younger than everyone else in the hotel. If you are looking for a hot spot of activity or a young funloving place, than look elsewhere. If you are looking for a place to sleep, so you can go out and see all Nice has to offer, in the best location for a good price than this is probably the Hotel for you as long as you aren't a neat freak.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank glpozniak
Reviewed 20 November 2011

this hotel has an amazing location right on the beachfront and the best rates of any hotel with that location. It's a really tired hotel and would be just gorgeous if it was done up. Our room was a triple - the 3rd bed was an extra rollaway bed which did the job although it was a bit on the short side. The room overall was comfortable and clean. we didnt' splash out on the extra for the sea view and had no view worth speaking of - but we were glad in the end as the promenade is a busy noisy road - we slept soundly at the back of the hotel - it's a lovely quiet hotel. The air con in the room is only ok if the weather is hot. The bathroom is good and big - our only complaint was the shower curtain over the bath is pinned up too close to the bath so the water goes everywhere. For the price and location, this was a great hotel to stay in. And if like us you're looking for a good location and good value then this is definitely worth it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Overall: Forlorn and worn hotel with uninspred staff, mediocre maintanance andgreat location.

Booking: GOOD Easy and convnient on www ok
Location: YES Right on Promenade des Anglais. Beatuiful view from frontgarden. ++
Welcome/Checkin: Indifferent. Not a smile. Nota Welcome. --
Common areas: Worn. Tables in cafearea not cleand after breakfast good after lunchtime. Small elevator. Worn carpets. Strange smell. Outdated --
Bar: Staff not friendly. Some correct, some indifferent. Skills of bartenders vary from expected (This is not a cocktailbar) to hillarious --
Breakfast: Not included, not tried, but expensive. 14 euroes no to rate
Room: Single: Ok size. Shower only. Warn. Outdated bathroom. Warn towels. Nice, firm mattress. ++ Pillow like my jeans backpocket--. Linnen worn. Fleece plaid ok. Safe good! Storage room good! Cityview promised: Backyard
Room double: As above except more space good.Tub good.
Clenliness: good enough.
Housekeeping: Knock and come in even with "donot disturb"-sign on dor --
Aircondition: Does not work properly --
Noice: Window open due to no aircondition working-lots of street noice. My last room regularly was penetratedwitha sound like somthing drilling in concrete. Not all the time, but at all times.
Value? NO

Room Tip: Stay in the part of building with no wooden floors (creeks). Maybe the seavieawrooms are better. Do...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Bergern
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I had booked two sea-view rooms for my parents and I and were put next to each other on the first floor. Although sea-view, we felt we were right on top of the road and missing out on the view a bit. I enquired at reception as to whether there were any rooms on a higher floor and were immediately moved to two on the 5th - no problems at all. The rooms are large and very basic but have a bit of a musty smell. When you open your balcony door however, you are met with the most beatiful view of Nice so I would say to only stay here if you want the sea-view - otherwise it's not that fantastic. Overall an average hotel with friendly staff (we did have a giggle when the reception misunderstood our request for an extra "towel" and when we chased it up again the next day, were told that we would have to wait until the technician came at 11am to build our new "table" - we underestand the accent/language difference, but just how accommodating were they willing to be!?!)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family