“Excellent Dessert!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Charming place located in the old part of Lyon. 3 dining rooms, all very charming.

Staff: most of them are nice and friendly, however there are a few waiters not really friendly. I was lucky to be served by one of the friendly ones. She was lovely and also efficient.

Food: as starter I had the famous liver Pate, which was really good. The main was unfortunately not so good, I had the beef fillet and the meat was not tender at all. Then came the desserts and they were outstanding, in particular the Baba Au Rhum, really excellent, but also the chocolate tart was very good.

Good wine menu.

Not cheap but worth for what you get (except the beef), I would return and recommend this place for a charming lunch or dinner!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We loved all the dishes, it was casual, simple and tasty. We tried typical dishes from Lyon and we adore that.

1  Thank billy c
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

We went here for supper based on a recommendation from a local and had their sampling menu. Eur51 for a 5course meal sampling local cuisine each course accompanied with wine. Our waiter spoke very good english making things a lot easier.

1  Thank Anton M
Daniel-et-Denise, Manager at Daniel & Denise - Saint-Jean, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Dear Anton,

Thank you for your message. It's was a pleasur to make a warm welcomming in our restaurant Daniel and Denise.

Best regard,

Reviewed 1 March 2018

I booked my reservation in Lyon France directly through their website. Because Rick Steve travels recommended this restaurant. They had a link that directed me straight through .....However, all my other bookings was through trip advisor.
In any case, I had a 7:15 reservation . My meal was good. But when we were presented with our bill we were charged for dishes that we did not order. I immediately told my server about the corrections. She brought me a corrected bill. Then... We thought it was a little different procedure than the past week in France........ The server took my card.. ..??....Usually, they bring the credit machine to the table and process immediately.
I haven’t used this particular card yet. .. So it would be very hard for me to think it was some other establishment....
A few hours later........
I get a text from my card company a few hours later that someone was trying to purchase items online... I called my bank verified the restaurant bill but everything afterwards was fraudulent.
The lesson.....
Never let anyone take your card.. Bring your card to the machine or the server brings the credit machine to you.

Not sure if they didn’t vet their staff??.. But travelers be ware....
Otherwise, We had a good meal.
I would have given the restaurant a 4 Star.

Daniel-et-Denise, Gérant at Daniel & Denise - Saint-Jean, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2018

Dear Bettina ,

Thank you for your comments about our restaurant. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal. We are, however, shocked to learn that you believe your credit card was compromised through us. If you reserve by internet, leaving a credit card number to confirm your reservation for a table of 6 or more, we do not have direct access to your information. Nor do we keep clients' credit card information after they have dined with us. Furthermore, we have confidence that our staff is trustworthy and honest. I can assure you that our staff does not have the time to make purchases online during service. Many have been with Daniel et Denise several years and we have never had such a problem.

We wish you would have contacted us directly by phone or email to discuss this problem, as posting such a review on TripAdvisor gravely reduces the confidence future clients may have in our restaurant, which as you said, you did enjoy.

If you have any questions or concerns, I invite you to contact us through email at stjean@danieletdenise.fr

Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

Our first night in Lyon and with two recommendations we were really looking forward to our first dinner in the capital of French cuisine. I am afraid it was a real disappointment, very average food and average service. Daniel et Denise is for us tourists, it is not somewhere that I would expect to see the Lyon locals.