“Rundown, hot and smells”

Ibis St Etienne Nord-Terrasse
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Saint-Etienne
Reviewed 19 June 2016

I don't write too many reviews on Tripadvisor considering the amount of travel i do, but sometimes I feel compelled to either encourage or, in this case warn fellow travellers about the standard of accomodation or experiences I receive.
Before I go on, this hotel was paid for by my company and the day we checked in the rate was advertised at E157 (Euro) a night but I can only assume the company never paid anything like that as it was peak period (Euro 2016 Football).

The hotel is situated well outside of St Etienne, above a major highway, right next to a regular tramway, close to a rail way and at a busy intersection so the transport noise is loud. Luckily the rooms seem to have double glazed windows, so when closed, there was little noise, but after several attempts to get the in room air conditioning working (as the rooms gets very stuffy), I visited reception and was told it doesn't work in the entire hotel !
So with windows open, the traffic noise is just ridiculous and I couldn't sleep.

The place stinks too. Its a combination of stale cigarettes and damp. Every time we returned from being out we were greeted with the pungent odour which in the mornings was camouflaged by the room cleaning ladies with deodoriser .... I'm not sure which was worse !

The rooms were tiny. The bed was so small I had to lay side ways to fit in, I'm not that tall (6ft1) luckily I was on my own. Tiny bathroom dating back from 1980 with 1 x very thin towel and no toiletries just a bottle of squeeze hand wash attached to the wall ......remember E157 a night !!!! No bar fridge, no water bottle, no cups ....nothing.

We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant on the first night, my meal came out 20 minutes before my colleague and i'd finished mine by the time he was served..... no apology.....not even recognition that it was so late ! Very average lasagne for the price.

We discovered on the Sunday night that the hotel restaurant was closed and there were very few options for food within a walk apart from a cool little takeaway Pizza place across the road. We had to negotiate with the front reception to bring a pizza in to the hotel outside eating area (which was empty) and on condition we bought drinks we were aloud to eat our pizza this once ! .....wow thanks for stretching the rules !

We were supposed to be returning to this hotel about 4 - 5 different times for stays of up to 4 nights during the stay in France as we were working on Euro 2016 but 3 nights was all we could take and informed our office to cancel the remainder of the bookings and we have moved to a much nicer hotel.

I don't have a problem with Ibis and I have stayed in many before, but I have never seen such a run down place that smells so bad. If anyone from Ibis should read this, this hotel is doing your brand some serious damage !

The reception staff were generally friendly to us but its hard to be happy when the accomodation is so poor !

Room Tip: Just try and avoid this place
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 April 2016

Very nice staff, both friendly and helpful. Very clean throughout hotel.

Super breakfast, variety, quality and plentiful. Coffee and fruit given also for our journey.

Dinner on the other hand was thrown onto the plates (no presentation whatsoever). Poor quality, had salad with runny goats cheese on bread, either rock hard or rubbery. Chips were cold and certainly not freshly cooked. Certainly not Master Chef standards or anywhere near. Hotel let down badly with evening meal.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 27 September 2015

We took forever and got lost more than once in Saint Etienne. Finally found it and we were happy to get a good parking spot on site and an open restaurant. Food was OK, we were exhausted and didn't walk around in what looked like a sketchy area. But the room itself, although very small, was clean and the bathroom was modern. We were only there one night and it was very inexpensive and good value for the money. Now we know where it is, so we could stay there again enroute to the south of France.

Room Tip: I don't think it matters, I would think all rooms are similar in size and views
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2015

As I travel by public transport my usual practice is to stay somewhere that is close to a city's main railway station. However my stay in St Etienne coincided with a national junior athletics campionship so I had to stay at this hotl on the northern edge of town. However, La Terrasse is a majr local transport interchange with regular trams, buses and some local trains quite close to the hotel giving good and reasonably priced access to the city centre. Having travelled all day, i ate in the hotel restaurant on my first evening which was satisfactory as was the breakfast. For the rest the hotel features were as expected of an Ibis hotel including clean functional rooms with a good bed. The air conditioning was effective (important as the daytime temperature was over 30 durin my stay. I would also specifically mention that the sound insulation was very good despite my room overlooking a motorway, main roads and a tram line. I found the staff both friendly and professional.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo