“An excellent Hotel with outstanding service”

Mandarin Oriental, Munich
Ranked #6 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I note earlier reviewers question the service at MO Munich this was certainly not what we experienced. We spent 5 days at the MO Munich and the service was faultless, professional and on par with the MO Singapore (where we have stayed regularly). Every member of staff was exceedingly gracious and during our stay I celebrated my birthday. Well, the Hotel delivered roses to our room and when we had returned from dinner that night a birthday cake had been delivered.
These were lovely gestures on the part of the Hotel. Other things that made the stay pleasant was the complementary mini bar, the high quality Bang and Olsun tv and sound system and the attention to detail in the cleanliness of the room.
The Hotel is just a short walk from Marienplatz which has shopping and an underground station that will whisk you around the city very quickly.
Should we return to Munich we shall definitely stay at the MO.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sallymay4

Reviewed 13 March 2012

I am trying to understand why the Mandarin Oriental Munich receives such high ratings, but I don't get it. Compared with other MO properties in Asia, it certainly lacks atmosphere and service. Compared with other Munich luxury hotels, I rate it behind the Vier Jahreszeiten (again better atmosphere and service), the Bayrischer Hof (better pool and spa) and the Königshof (better atmosphere and food). In addition, I find the location of the MO Munich debatable: a very narrow area, not easy to find by car. Maybe this narrowness, inside and outside, translates to a certain cozyness for some people, but to me it is very uninspiring. The service is mixed: valet was very friendly, the ladies at the bar as well, but not so the two waiters. The price is very high, compared to other top hotels in town. The positive parts are the nice cigar lounge and the roof-top pool terrace (only in summer).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank TrophyCollector
MOMUCMunich, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear TrophyCollector:

Thank you for having recently stayed at Mandarin Oriental, Munich and for sharing your personal observations with the online travel community. I am sorry to read that you found the hotel to be lacking atmosphere and service. Each Mandarin Oriental hotel around the world is different in style, size and location, yet we all strive to delight and satisfy our customers. Please accept my apologies if on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. The hotel is rated by most of our guests extremely favourable due to our consistent service which we seemed to not have provided to you on this occasion. The property is indeed tucked away in a quiet side street from famous Maximilianstrasse. This quiet and superb central location is appreciated by many of our guests and any navigation system will lead to our hotel. We thank you for your positive comments on our cigar lounge and summer pool terrace which operates from May though September. We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future reservation so I may personally look after your booking.

Lars Wagner (lwagner@mohg.com)

Mandarin Oriental, Munich

Reviewed 7 March 2012

Such a lovely hotel in all aspects; Location just a short walk to all major attractions and shopping, Decoration and atmosphere so rich and relaxing, Rooms spotless and to the highest standard (loved the hot bathroom floor) bed so comfy, Breakfast superb with all varieties, Concierge so helpful and willing to go an extra mile for you, Cigar lounge excellent place for smokers, amenities high end, I recommend big time :-)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Our experience at this hotel was flawless! We had double rooms that were very comfortable and had large luxurious bathrooms. In particular the concierge staff seemed to know what we wanted before we asked in an almost uncanny way. The service definitely sets this hotel apart.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank HappyTravelMom49
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I've had a fair amount of travel so far across few countries in Europe, Australia, new zealand and middle east. But it is the first time I felt I wanted to come online and write something about a hotel I stayed in.
The customer service I experienced starting from the doormen to the front disk ( not forgetting Julia) and everyone else was really different from all other hotel I've been to.
The care they showed was consistent and clearly coming from their inside.
I also felt my room was customized for me.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family