Restaurant Insel Muehle
Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 19 November 2016

I have noticed that some reviewers have sent a review of the beer garden and these reviews have been published under the heading of the restaurant. I don't think that that is fair since the beer garden has a self service restaurant which offers relatively simple Bavarian food and can in no way be compared to the restaurant of the hotel. The two are actually physically separate from each other.
At any rate, my review concerns the restaurant of the hotel. In my view, it is one of the best in the Western part of Munich. It has an interesting menu and offers quite innovative food. The service is friendly and competent. We have been there several times and will certainly come back.

Reviewed 9 September 2016 via mobile

We have been recently again in this small beer garden, which not more than 10min away from home by bike and I must say we have enjoyed a beautiful evening there. The place is not very big, but big enough and offers a small playground for kids, beautiful view to the nearby floating river and everything that you need to enjoy a beautiful summer evening outside with the family - good and diversified food and other kinds of drinks and not only beer. There was also smoked fish on a stick and tarte flambee offered, which was a nice surprise and not common everywhere. Of course there was all other typical beer garden food as usual. We took the fish and it was really good, what shall be the case for a piece price of 14€ each.
The rest of the prices are ok, not cheap, but normal for the city.
We liked a lot and would recommend to everyone one who has a way through this part of the city to go there and have a beer and enjoy a nice evening, especially during week days.
We were avoiding the place in the past, because we were a bit scared of the close water, is pretty fast and a bit risky if you have really small kids, but now will definitely go more often.

Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

Great location! Absolutely terrible service!
The guy at the cash tried to charge us more (4 out of 8 guys!!!!). Very unfriendly staff! Mediocre food, only thing that is good and made our visit sort of ok was the location!
Never again! Stay away if you read this in time!!!!

Reviewed 2 July 2016

If like me you like visiting interesting Biergärten, you'll love the Insel Mühle! The Biergarten has a separate entrance from the nearby hotel of the same name (I think under different management, though) and is situated on the banks of a briskly-flowing brook (they call it a river) which served as the mill stream for the old mill that gives the Biergarten its name. The brook runs through the Biergarten, and even has a complement of ducks that occasionally leave the water to wander among the guests.

The Biergarten itself seats about 800, and is all self-service. They offer the popular Augustiner in liter mugs from a wooden barrel (Holzfass) -- very refreshing -- and also Paulaner wheat beer (which I didn't try). They have the usual assortment of Biergarten food, or you can bring your own. There are huge shade trees keeping the Biergarten comfortable, probably dating back centuries, and a small children's play area. While I was there, the Biergarten was used as a refreshment stop by cyclists and hikers alike.

It seems quite popular with the nearby residents, too. I arrived in the late afternoon, and by the time I finished my chicken snack and a second liter (around 7 PM) the place had filed up. Of course, there was a big screen TV (Leinwand) on which the EURO 2016 quarterfinal match between Wales and Belgium was to be shown beginning at 9 PM, so that may have swelled the crowd somewhat.

All in all, a very beautiful setting and an unusual Biergarten. Definitely one to add to your collection!

1  Thank Don T
Reviewed 12 October 2015

Limited menu but decent home made food spelled by waitress getting main course wrong and having a stand of fish attitude.