“Not great for vegans or vegetarians”

Restaurant da Claudio
Ranked #291 of 1,179 Restaurants in Nuremberg
Price range: US$27 - US$56
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadt - St. Sebald
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

I suspect there place serves good food even if rather overpriced. As a vegetarian it's an altogether different story. There's virtually no choice and the dishes are not marked as being suitable for vegetarians, vegans or anyone suffering from a food allergy. If you fall into this category, stay away from this place!

Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

Recommended to one of my colleagues by the hotel concierge, we ate with a party of four on a Tuesday evening. When we arrived at 19:30, the restaurant was almost full (this is important for later on).

My first impressions were: a comparatively small restaurant, expensively furnished, an elderly lady in a fur coat in front of me, waiters in white shirts and ties, a huge wall of wine bottles and a comparatively large number of waiters speaking Italian with each ... in short a place that wants to impress and that visited by people who want to impress.

Our party took a few minutes to settle down and about 5 minutes later we were asked whether we wanted an aperitivo in Italian, even though we were clearly speaking English and the waiter knew I spoke German as well. When we politely declined and a colleague asked whether they had some Shiraz red wine, we were unceremoniously handed the extensive (200+) wine menu of almost exclusively Italian wines ranging from just under €30 to almost €1,000 per bottle. Sorted by region, with many multiple vintages of the same wine, but no explanations, I was not surprised not to find any Shiraz (not really a grape grown in Italy). Admittedly my knowledge of Italian wine is limited, so after about 5 minutes I settled on a €37 low-end bottle of red. Another 5 minutes later our order was taken. No recommendation or dialogue over the wine was attempted by the changing waiters at any time.

The one page food menu appeared to change daily and focussed on fish offering about 10 antipasti, primo piati, secondi and deserts each. Our first order of an avocado and prawn salad was initially greeted with an "we have run out of this dish today" (now in German with an Italian accent) only to be corrected immediately after speaking to the kitchen. We ended up ordering three starters and four primi piati from the lower price end of the menu (€15-20 per dish).

Having completed our order, a bowl of bread and grissini with some olive oil and salt was served after another 5 minutes, all of which were rather good! Our salads appeared after another 15 minutes, nicely presented and with a respectable number of prawns, but with a rather unsupportive dressing that did not balance the dish.

Engaged in discussion, the minutes passed and I started to notice that the flow of dishes from the kitchen was rather slow. After about half an hour I required about our main course (one of our party had not had a starter). The waiter said she would enquire but never came back to the table. Another 10 minutes later our dishes appeared.

Our initial impressions of neither here nor there continued, with discussion focussing more around our wait than the food quality. Again not bad, but not impressive either. It was now 20:45 and the restaurant was almost empty.

When our bottle of wine was empty and we refused the offer of another (again, not bad but not memorable), the waitress "offered" wine by the glass and was visibly disappointed when we did not take up her offer.

We finished our food and were eventually asked about how we liked it. Upon my response that we had had to wait rather long without an any communication, she initially played the "I did not communicate?" card before finally explaining that that they were down a cook in the kitchen (death in the family and had to fly back to Italy ...) offering to make it up later on.

As two of my colleagues were getting rather tired now (early flight and jet lag), we politely refused desert, coffee and a digestive on the house and settled the €157 bill, leaving at around 21:30.

Walking down the street, we concluded that our visit had probably been mutually disappointing for our group and the restaurant.

Not really a bad restaurant, but certainly did not meet the expectations it created, probably compounded by a bad night. Not my kind of place.

2  Thank Gregor B
Reviewed 11 January 2017

My team and I travel to Nuremberg for business once a year and they always ask me to book Da Claudio. The staff is always courteous and the food excellent. We have not had a bad meal or an unhappy evening in this restaurant.

Reviewed 16 December 2016 via mobile

Pure Italian (Mediterranean) flavors, professional and polite staff, cosy ambience!! Well done!!! Congrats!!!

Reviewed 28 September 2016 via mobile

We went there for a business dinner. Its true there was an issue with the nr of people the table was reserved for. I left and arrived at around 22 bck to the restaurant wanting to eat finally as there were rooms. When i pointed at what i wanted he almost yelled at me that the kitchen was closed. I said OK i understand! Decided not to eat anything instead. I dont recommend!

4  Thank Ozan O