Singer109 Backpacker Apartment Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsreasonable locationalexander platzshared roomnice barbreakfast was deliciouscleaned dailyluggage roomminute walkgreat place to staysingle roomcomfortable bedssinger109lockersatriumlobbydormpadlock
Reviewed 14 April 2011

The hostel was very much above expectations: a very clean, modern bathroom with heated towel rails, very powerful shower and as-new tiling and ceramics. A decent breakfast with hot scrambled egg and a variety of cereals, cold meats and cheese, hot and cold drinks and yoghurts and bread-types. Beds very comfortable. Not too noisy, although sound is reflected from the atrium into the interior bedrooms. Almost convenient location, a 4-5 minute walk from the ideally placed Jannowitzbruecke Station on the main drag of the tube-network. Also has the great virtue of free internet access terminals in the lobby - great for just checking up on plans, locations, emails etc. I was very pleased with this choice and would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the outward-facing side.
  • Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 28 March 2011

The directions from the website were descriptive and accuracte, but the location of the hostel is odd to get to; and it's walking distance to the Alexanderplatz. There is a bar on the first floor of the hostel, which is smoking, so I didnt stay long. There were a few computers, free to use the internet which were great and a variety of cell phones chargers at the front desk in case you forgot yours. The room was a standard 4 person room, 2 bunkbeds, lockers for each person, and a tv. There was a bathroom in the room as well, so you dont have to go far or share with the entire floor.

The downside was that I ended up sharing a coed room with 3 men who were 50+. I did sign up for a coed room, and after the first night I tried to switch rooms, but they were fully booked. So I had to continue staying with the snoring men. Also the bathroom was not cleaned in the two days that I stayed there, which was a problem when sharing it with 3 males.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I can't fault Singer109 on being an well presented hostel with comfortable and clean rooms and amenities. However the attitude of the staff left much to be desired particularly the incredibly racist owner who actually threatened us and described our race as nothing. He was extremely aggressive and made us feel unsafe for the rest of our stay. He was very proud of the holocaust and made that quite apparent. Whether this is because of how drunk he was when he approached us or not is beside the point. The staff tend to congregate at all hours of the night at the bar located on the ground floor. Attempting to enter this area will be met with scowls and obvious hostility. The hostel is located in a dark and dingy area and all taxi drivers had a lot of difficulty locating the hostel even with a map to direct them. I would never suggest a friend to visit this hostel. Of our whole trip we found this hostel ruined our Berlin experience. Attached is a phto of the hostel owner as he was abusing us at 4am about the war because of our australian heritage

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank Australian77
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Singer 109 is one stop away from AlexanderPlatz, and is actually easily walkable from the famous plaza. It was in a residential area, and walking into the lobby it gives off a very hotel like feel (which is nice). The staff was sehr freundlich and even had patience with my schlecht Deutsch.

I arrived early, but they were more than happy to store my bag while I walked around the city. One of the things I liked the most was they had glass cases and inside each case was a specific cell phone chargers (Blackberry, O2, Iphone, etc) with a lock so you could charge your cell phone during your stay! I thought that was a novel idea, especially for people like me who habitually forget theirs.

The bar was pretty nice is decent priced drinks and cocktails. I did not have any food there so I cannot speak to it.

Nice and quiet, great after a night out and all you want to do is crash :) Bed were nice and clean as were the showers and bathrooms. A great (and cheap!) find.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I stayed in Wombats hostel in Munich (which was my first hostel experience) and had such a good experience there that I didn't think it could get better. I tried to stay at the Wombats in Berlin but couldn't get availability, so I booked at Singer109 instead, and WOW was it an even better experience than Wombats! Singer looked like a hotel, the rooms and lockers were *much* larger, they had free laundry and free computers w/ internet for use (vs Wombats had pay-per-use), and they even had really convenient mobile charging stations for all different types of phones and ipods.

Similar to Wombats (and most European hostels/hotels), there was no A/C and Singer's windows didn't open to the outside, so it wasn't very cool. But it was much quieter. They didn't offer fans like Wombats did.

Singer was not as social as Wombats was. Not a lot of people used the bar/common area, and I barely interacted with my dormmates, vs, at Wombats in Munich I was friendly with. Also, it seemed a lot younger than Wombats. There looked to be a couple high school travel groups there during my stay, whereas Wombats' average age was definitely mid 20s. Lastly, the directions online from the train station are pretty awful, so I walked around for a good half hour before finding the place. It's really hidden so I suggest using an EXTREMELY good map as soon as you get off the train station, or jumping into a cab straight away.

But, overall, Singer is a phenomenal place to stay, a great value, and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo