“Disappointing”

Cuisines: African
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Although it has nice decor and a cosy atmosphere, as a South African I was generally disapointed. The quality of the beef of the monkey gland steak we ordered was a far cry from what one would get in South Africa. The waiter didn't ask how we wanted it done, for me elementary when serving steak. He didn't speak a word of English and the menu was only in German. Although this should not necessarily affect the quality of the food, it does impact the general dining experience and since this restaurant is reviewed on the English site of Tripadvisor, it is worth mentioning to non-German speaking visitors. Our samosa starter was quite tasty. The restaurant only accepts cash.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We wanted to try something different and close by on our second night in Berlin. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and we had a window seat overlooking the leafy street. The waiter was patient as we had a little difficulty communicating but between us we worked through it. The tomatenbrot was very tasty, as were the dips and breads that were brought out. I had the vegetarian platter and was happy with the array of food on it. My boyfriend had the durban chicken curry which was nice and rich. The wine selection was also good. I thought the time between courses was also reasonable as it is the kind of restaurant you want to enjoy and not feel rushed. It was overall a nice experience with charm and sophistication. We hadn't planned on spending quite so much for a meal out, it was pricier than any of our other meals in Berlin, but we enjoyed the atmosphere and experience.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

I was impressed with all the positive reviews here on Tripadvisor, so we decided to give it a try when visiting Berlin.I caught a flu and couldn't drink anything cold,but the waitress easily solved that problem.I was impressed how helpful the staff was and how fast we got our food!I ordered potjie and my husband chose hamburger.The potjie looked very tempting and was indeed delicious!I could hardly finish it, however my husband's hamburger was below average... The restaurant itself is a bit tricky to find, but it's even nice when you want to explore more of Berlin!
Recommended!

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Starter and main course were fine, (we had the bobotie + lamb stew and somosas+ springbock) but after the main course the table was cleared and we didn't get the manu for deserts. When we asked after a while we were told the kitchen had already closed and no sweets were being served anymore. It may also be worth mentioning that no foreign cards of any sort are being accepted so people from abroad can only pay in cash.
Nice food though and friendly service, worth going to.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

The perfect restaurant for a romantic evening, the place is beautiful with all the different pictures of Cape Town, and of course the wooden carvings and ostrich eggs as part of the decoration. Very good music plays softly on the background. The food is really made with love and the portions I must say are very generous, so go hungry :-)