“Very disappointed”

Cuisines: African
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We have saved our money to come and try the food of Cape Town. For residents of Berlin, our meal was very expensive (28€ p.p.). The service was very poor, very unfriendly. The food we ordered, the waterfront plate, was so disappointing! The crocodile was like chewinggum and the other 'steaks' were chewy as hell as well.. We asked the server to ask the kitchen to peal our shrimps - as we don't like doing that - and he refused. Also, when we told that we weren't satisfied about the quality of the meal, the only thing the server did was tell us we were wrong. This was an aweful experience and I will not ever go there again!

Date of visit: February 2014

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Visited with friends and had a very enjoyable meal.

The Carpaccio of Wildebeest is excellent as an appetiser. The Zebra strip loin steak was also delicious.

Well worth a visit for a taste of Africa.

Date of visit: August 2013
1  Thank Craig M
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Although it has nice decor and a cosy atmosphere, as a South African I was generally disapointed. The quality of the beef of the monkey gland steak we ordered was a far cry from what one would get in South Africa. The waiter didn't ask how we wanted it done, for me elementary when serving steak. He didn't speak a word of English and the menu was only in German. Although this should not necessarily affect the quality of the food, it does impact the general dining experience and since this restaurant is reviewed on the English site of Tripadvisor, it is worth mentioning to non-German speaking visitors. Our samosa starter was quite tasty. The restaurant only accepts cash.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We wanted to try something different and close by on our second night in Berlin. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and we had a window seat overlooking the leafy street. The waiter was patient as we had a little difficulty communicating but between us we worked through it. The tomatenbrot was very tasty, as were the dips and breads that were brought out. I had the vegetarian platter and was happy with the array of food on it. My boyfriend had the durban chicken curry which was nice and rich. The wine selection was also good. I thought the time between courses was also reasonable as it is the kind of restaurant you want to enjoy and not feel rushed. It was overall a nice experience with charm and sophistication. We hadn't planned on spending quite so much for a meal out, it was pricier than any of our other meals in Berlin, but we enjoyed the atmosphere and experience.

Date of visit: July 2013
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I was impressed with all the positive reviews here on Tripadvisor, so we decided to give it a try when visiting Berlin.I caught a flu and couldn't drink anything cold,but the waitress easily solved that problem.I was impressed how helpful the staff was and how fast we got our food!I ordered potjie and my husband chose hamburger.The potjie looked very tempting and was indeed delicious!I could hardly finish it, however my husband's hamburger was below average... The restaurant itself is a bit tricky to find, but it's even nice when you want to explore more of Berlin!
Recommended!