Museum of Greek and Roman Antiquities (Antikensammlung)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$45.26*
and up
Private Tour: Berlin Architecture Tour
Ranked #159 of 1,023 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum features a large collection of various classical antiques.
Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

This collection is found in the Altes Museum on Museum Island. Many high quality antiquities from Greek and Roman times are housed here even if there is nothing as in-your-face as Nefertiti's bust. If I could visit just two museums in Berlin, this would be the second after the Pergamon. Wear sensible shoes.

1  Thank walters586

Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

This Museum is located inside what I called the Modern Museum Planning Case study Starting Point. The Altes Museum was designed by the renowned German architect, Karl F Schinkel. He was also responsible for the Museum Island Master plan. When you walk around, there is also a memorial which is his master stroke of design hidden somewhere close by.

Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

This museum is worth a visit for those of interest into this area of history. There are lots of aretefacts recovered from tombs which are an interesting sight. However, although there is a lot of things from tombs that is about all there is. So if this doesn't interest you then don't bother.

The museum is in a beautiful building so even if you dont go into the museum itself, it's worth taking in the architecture.

1  Thank caerbel
Reviewed 16 June 2016 via mobile

Very rich in historical Roman style art and located at the heart of museum island, this is a must see attraction. You will need to buy tickets to visit but the price you pay is worth the experience..

1  Thank Sanka1
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 May 2016

For me, the museum was unusually accommodating, with an emphasis on unusual. Because we said I couldn't deal with stairs, we were instructed to walk around and enter via a back door. We did so, but then had to explain repeatedly to a guard that we were supposed to enter that way and why. Eventually he got it and called someone to come get us. This resulted in being led through long back hallways usually not seen by tourists so bring us to the front desk, which is a huge area probably not redesigned in the last 100 years. I have two walking sticks, but their ends were too sharp to be allowed on the fancy floors, so they offered instead a free share-a-cane, something totally different from what I use. I said, I'll go it without. Overall, front desk fell somewhere between accommodating and classic old regime controlling. Do note, lots of stairs to get in the front door!

The halls of the museum were intriguing. Like all the major museums on Museum Island, it reminds us that Britian wasn't the only country ransacking the classical world to bring it piece by piece to Europe. Indeed, Germany excelled. The statuary were beautifullly displayed. That, and the coin collection. Make sure to allow time for the domed area.

1  Thank NoPegasus