“Bland and average at Lux 11”
Review of Lux 11

Lux 11
Ranked #202 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Lux 11 is part of the Design Hotels. When I watched the video on the website, I was really drawn to the place and booked a room immediately as my partner and I were going to Berlin for a Hotel conference.

I would however like to share with you some quotes that were shown on their marketing video which is on the Design Hotels website:

"In the end, everything depends on the people" (Quote by co-founder Elmo Hagendorf)

"It's a people's business" (Quote by co founder Tom Tanzer)

"We don't do hotels, we create concepts"

After my stay at Lux 11, I can say that out of the three above quotes, only one of them is true. In my opinion, this hotel is anything but a people's business. The service wasn't bad, it just isn't great. They pass the minimum satisfactory level, but in a luxury boutique hotel, one would expect much better. The blonde receptionist was cold as the temperature outside - 0 degrees. She was also quite defensive at times with no sense of humour

By the way, Lux 11 isn't a hotel. They market themselves as an apart/hotel but decide when it's best for them to be a hotel or apartments. Therefore, your expectations and then your experience of the place is somewhat confusing.

The bedrooms are very design-led. The shower is right next to the bed so you have a bit of a problem if your partner wakes up earlier than you to take a shower, because you have to switch on all the lights in the bedroom. I cannot deny however that the quality of all the furnishings were to a high quality.

So to the third quote "We don't do hotels, we create concepts". I completely agree, Lux 11 don't do hotels - they do apartments.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Nathalie S

Reviewed 20 February 2011

We came at the recommendation of a friend who is pretty picky about his choice of chic hotels, therefore thought that i would be looking forward to an excellent stay. First of all, the location was ok, just next to Alexanderplatz which has the U-bahn and S-bahn main station; the restaurants were also pretty good, especially in the asian food section. The rooms were ok, spacious and clean overall.

What annoyed me was the service. There are only two ppl in service after evening time (one was friendly but the other one was pretty cold and unhelpful), and everytime i needed something they asked me go to the reception to get it myself. They charged me a 10euros deposit just for borrowing an ethernet cable and said that if i didnt' bring it back to the reception or left it in the room when i checked out, the 10 euros would be charged. Also, we noticed that the housekeeping didn't replace our shampoo and shower gel after a few days, and when we asked for it at the reception, they gave us some and told us that they weren't supposed to replace those normally. How ridiculous.

For the price we are paying, the service is pretty lousy. It isn't the best hotel we have stayed in and next time i come to berlin i would probably search for another one with warmer smiles.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rarooso
Reviewed 4 February 2011

The hotel is just as described at their website. Our room was a corner room on the last floor, as I had requested. Early check-in was a piece of cake, and all of the receptionists were very polite and the service was really good. The truth is that personnel have a very good base...a really nicely decorated hotel, sunny spacious room, modern environment. The room had a small kitchen with a coffee-machine. This was really appreciated! Service was really what I would expect for a 4-star hotel. I've read in another review about the sportsclothes the receptionists wear. Well, as it seems this is rather subjective, but I really liked their outfit. It helped me feel more relaxed, instead of the standard "secretary" look receptionists usually have. Speaking of subjectiveness..Regarding the modern shower that is separated with a glass and mirror from the rest of the room. It is not a big deal really, even if you travel with friends, since there are so easy ways not to have view of the person in the shower, ...watching TV, lying in bed, surfing the internet from the desk, see the beautiful view from the windows..The heating system is another thing I really enjoyed. Not only the heater is modern, but the room was so warm and sleep was so resting. I can't say really how much I like everything about the room. Check-in, check-out process were fast and smooth. The location is so convenient, too. Drawbacks? Well, usually there are some. 1) Internet is not free, which is strange for our days and for the capital city of Germany, 2) the price is rather high for Berlin, since breakfast was not included in the 130euros/night for a "deluxe" type of room (this was a special disount offer, which means that rooms cost even more)-this is expensive for Berlin, I think. 3) Everythink in the mini bar is charged..to the pricey side...4) no room service after 23:00, 5) only half of the towels were replaced with clean (3-nights stay), and the used shampoo/shower gel was not replaced two days in a row (certainly we asked and we were given)! Besides the things I didn't like, which I consider minor, I would go back to this hotel, even if it was just to see the view from that sunny room.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eAnele
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Stayed at the hotel several times. During the last 2 years prices rose (at least during fair-season) rapidly - so I no longer go there. The location of the hotel is just perfect. - right in the heart of "Mitte" so close to the interesesting shopping area of Münzstrasse etc. It´s a hstorical building with modern interior. The staff is young, friendly, cool and helpful. The interior is "design-driven" with a lot of concrete - so not everyones taste.. Personally I like concrete very much - but during winter the room doesn´t appear cosy at all.. Another thing I don´t like is the shower which is more or less right beside of the bed (though it looks cool), I never find the right light-switch and breakfast ist according to the hotel-standard poor. Once they ran out of milk for the coffee at 8 o clock in the morning - not acceptable.. Better take your breakfast somewhere else - there are attractive options just a few steps away.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Our trip to Berlin was dampened by the weather. Raining on two of the three days that we were there, it was literally a washout.
BUT! Thank god we booked a suite at the Lux 11. From the welcome at the casual chic reception to the supersized and designed room we got, I'd have to say that our hotel was the highlight of our stay.
Location is also very good, and when it stopped raining, we'd rush out to the nearby Mitte area, which to me is the epitome of modern Berlin - interesting, edgy and very very very cool.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple