“Tender Steaks”

Restaurant and Cafe Matador
Ranked #28 of 364 Restaurants in Potsdam
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The multi-facetted MATADOR restaurant goes down well with people of all ages. Guests sit and relax by the digital fireplace and stacked firewood. Combined with the wooden chairs, tables and bar, as well as the pleasant earthy colours, the soft lighting and candlelight, these elements create a warm and cosy feel. Sip a cocktail in the bright relaxed surroundings outside. Tuck into a mouth-watering lava-stone grilled steak. The quality of food and service leaves nothing to be desired. You cannot beat the Matador for location either, allowing you to take a leisurely stroll in the nearby Sanssouci Park after your meal.
Reviewed 31 January 2018

The steaks at this restaurant are extremely tender, and were cooked just as we wanted them. We also had a baked potato and some vegetables, and left feeling quite happy. The service was good.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

I have always believed that a complete and satisfying restaurant experience has more to do with well-taken-care details that make the difference between an average and a superb moment. Unfortunately, Matador was not the case.

I visited Matador for my 37th birthday this week. As a Chilean national, my first choice for celebrating my birthday was to do it with a nice steak in my plate. So, my wife and I decided to celebrate with our 2 yr old toddler and my father in law at Matador. My wife and son had pasta, my wife's dad had ribs, and I naturally ordered an entrecote steak.

The first impression was overall positive. However, a succession of negative details made that impression fall apart. The first thing that happened was the fact that they would even charge extra for mayonnaise or butter, which I would totally understand in the case of a cheap diner, where margins are small. But Matador is not such case. After all, paying 20.90 EUR for an entrecote is not precisely inexpensive.

Further, I had the unpleasantly experience of watching the kitchen through the looking glass that separates the dinning area with the kitchen. It was plain disgusting, the whole kitchen was a complete mess, the chef and souz chef were talking to each other whilst there were green beans all over the kitchen's floor, pieces of meat lying on top of the working area that had totally lost the cold chain and much more.

Finally, the food.... my entrecote had too much pepper on it + instead of medium cooked was closer to well done and the vegetable portion that I ordered was too small to go with an entrecote. I also tried my wife's pasta, which was not "al dente", rather over cooked. The only happy person with his food was my two year old toddler who totally devoured his pasta, and my father in law who didn't leave traces of meat on the rib bones.

I think there are better beef restaurants in Potsdam to go to. After all, this place is located at the most touristic place in the city, maybe it's intended to attract tourists that won't mind paying extra for butter or mayonnaise and that will not go and check their kitchen through the looking glass.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

I'm always here because of them. The steak is low-fat, the taste is rich and the meat well gives juice. Staff polite and pleasant, I have never had controversy with them

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Might have been the best burger in town. I had the double xl cheeseburger which was absolutely huge and delicious. Great outdoor seating right next to the gate. The service was some of the best I experienced during my time in town and this is a must do if in Potsdam.

1  Thank Foreman212
Reviewed 8 August 2017

We went again having been in summer 2016. Sat outside looking, shaded by an umbrella and we looked towards the mini Arc de Triomphe. Good selection of food and what we had was tasty. Service was prompt and the staff friendly. They can speak in English if needed and provide English menus. Reasonable prices too.
Great for lunch or an evening meal before or after exploring the city centre.