“Hop off but Don't Get Stranded.”

Maritime Circle Line
Ranked #59 of 139 Tours in Hamburg
Reviewed 15 September 2016

Before you buy this tour, please take note : there are 3 english tours a day. If you board the last tour, you cannot hop off the boat - as there is no more pick-ups for the day. If you are intending to board the second last boat tour, and if you leave the boat at any stops, be prepared to find your way back on your own from wherever you stopped as I had experienced myself.
On the 8 September 2016. I got on the 1 pm English tour (2nd last English tour for the day) on the Maritime Circle LIne Hop-On Hop-off tour. Like all Hop-on Hop-off tours, I expected to be able to get off and get picked up at any of the assigned stops. During the tour I noticed that business was slow (about 10 of us passengers at the starting point of the boat trip at St Pauli Piers) and that there was no one to pick up at all the stops except one. So before I alighted at Speicherstadt (I was the only one to alight there), I asked the guide what time the next boat would arrive for me the catch back to St Pauli Piers. The guide said 4.20pm was the next and it was the last boat for the day. So I reminded myself to be there extra early as the boat might arrive earlier than stipulated because of poor business. I was at the pier at 3.45 pm. At 4.35 pm I called the office to ask if the boat was running late. The young lady told me that the captain had already returned to st Pauli"s Pier and was going home!!! That was the last boat for the day. When I asked her what I should do as I only had a city map with me and that I had no clue as to where I was - she apologised and said that she could not help. When I asked for a refund, she offered me another ticket on this same tour ............

Reviewed 28 November 2015 via mobile

Waited for 15 minutes and then were told we'd have to switch boats due to mechanical difficulties. So, launched 20+ minutes late. Felt like I could have gotten just as mucin information following the boat's course with google maps since most of the talking was pointing out buildings. I was hoping for more insider information about the city/port.
The bass or woofer on the speaker was too much so it was hard to understand the German or the English. Plus there was a screaming kid and a trio of ladies who talked almost non-stop.
Glad I had the Hamburg Card so only paid 13€ but still feel a little cheated value-wise.
Would probably recommend a walking tour that might share a little more insight into the city.

Reviewed 18 October 2015

This was the only cruise for English speakers. The first half of the tour was away from the city. The container ships were interesting, but there wasn't much to see for the next 30 minutes except for canal walls. It was much better after the boat came back to the city.
We ended up getting off a couple of stops early.

Reviewed 19 March 2015

Harbour boat tour in Hamburg with guide in loud speakers,german and english.About 90 minutes,tour passes by for example container harbour(impressive),sandbank(walk on water),elbephilharmonie(buildingprice over 900 million euro) and world biggest ware house area Spicherstadt(I liked especially to see that I am a warehouse worker).Warehouse area is built on burnt oak pillars that are stronger than stone and steel! Comfortable boat sitting close to water,boat is not to big.Bee early to get good seats close to water.

Best:Massive harbour cranes and sitting close to water,comfortable.

Worst:There was more info by guide in german than in english,not ok. No drinks and food offered to buy on boat.

1  Thank MPnr1
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 November 2014

We were disappointed at the English content of the spiel . Whilst nearly every 'attraction' was described at length in German the 'translation' into English was very brief .
Chose this particular trip to while away a couple of hours before heading to the airport and because the Tourist Info. suggested it for English tourists . If you want to see the Fish market in operation you have to be a real early bird .
We didn't make use of the hop-on hop-off facility due to time constraints but this may have made the trip more interesting overall
Not really recommended unless it's a sunny day , not very interesting either unless cranes are your thing
Sorry