“Amazing place”

Ranked #162 of 774 Restaurants in Bonn
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Alt-Godesberg
Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

Great food, great service, I'd definitely recommend for business and casual dining. Lots of wine choice and accompanying finger food - had a cheese plate and filled avocado

Reviewed 6 September 2016 via mobile

This restaurant like Limao is close to the Hotel I stayed at recently for a two week business trip. I visited 4 times in this period and was never disappointed. They welcome you warmly, and seem genuinely happy if you enjoy the food. The fare is sort of classic local home cooking. I remember a very tasty tartar, the cod liver dish as a starter is divine, and they do a salad with veal strips which i loved. My colleague had a good steak on one evening, and I also remember a veal ragu thing with cheese filled gnocchi. The drinks were all as they should be (really good house merlot). The prices are not cheap, but I would say fare.

1  Thank SharkeyOxford_UK_
Reviewed 12 July 2016

When we stayed in Bonn recently, we didn't realise that our hotel (the excellent Villa Godesberg) was so far out of town.......so we searched on Google for a nearby restaurant and Maternus popped up. We really liked it: the courtyard out the back is pretty and romantic. The food was excellent - traditional dishes very well and freshly prepared. The service was very good too. We both had Schnitzel, one with potato salad and one with fried potatoes. Very tasty indeed! A nice touch was that there is a herb garden growing in the courtyard and the chefs came out to pick the herbs freshly.

Reviewed 24 April 2016

I come back to this restaurant every time I am in Bonn. For good reason. Their menu is simple, to the point, and brilliant. And every dish is prepared with care and very high standards. This time I ate here three times. Since it is white asparagus season, I took advantage and ate asparagus every time- in different combinations. With schnitzel, with lamb chops, with steak. Always equally excellent. The service is incredibly nice and concerned that you have a good experience. This restaurant has a high profile with politicians both from Germany and abroad. Their little room on the side has seen some action. Ask for a quick tour of the room. This is indeed a jewel in Bad Godesberg

Reviewed 26 October 2015

When Bonn was the capital of West Germany, a favourite place for the government. Photos of Brezhnev and George HW Bush on the wall. Slow service, old fashioned style.