“good enough”
Review of Shiva's CitySleep

Shiva's CitySleep
Reviewed 10 June 2016

The staff were very nice, although we only met one member. He gave us each a can of beer cocktails upon arrival which was very nice. Our rooms had a table with chairs in which was nice when we just wanted to sit and chill for a bit. The location let it down. It is a trains ride away from the centre of cologne so it cost us to get into the city. also the directions they gave us to get there were very vague which resulted in quite a bit of difficulty finding it.
The bed was also not the best. My friend and i were in a double bed that on the first night we noticed was a bit uncomfortable. There seemed to be a dip of some sort in the middle but we thought nothing of it. When we were about to leave I happened to drop something under the bed and when i picked it up i saw that the middle of the bed had broken completely and was being held up by two blocks of concrete.
It wasn't the worst place in the world but wasn't the best. But i guess we got what we payed for.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 April 2016

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable,there was a sink and small T.V. The bathroom was clean, there was a shower, and soap, but you have to bring your own towel. you can make tea or coffee in the collective kitchen. it's close to a bakery and the metro.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2015

I booked 3 double rooms for my self and my wife, my 29 year old daughter and her husband and my 25 yr old son and his girlfriend .
About 4 days before I was due to go I emailed the hotel to say I would be arriving late and could they facilitate this by having a member of staff meeting me there when we got there or could my friend in Germany that I was visiting come and pick up the key, I agreed to pay extra if hey had too get a member of staff to do this.
They replied that they had a problem, water had damaged one of the rooms and so would I accept a double and a family room. They said that they would get a member of staff to stay late and give me the key to the place.
I was not happy with this so I tried to find alternative accommodation , unfortunately at such short notice this was impossible to find a suitable alternative for 3 doubles.
I spoke to Zubina and voiced my concerns, I said I wanted a discount due to the fact that the sleeping arrangements were unsatisfactory, she said her boss was on holiday in India, she would email him and he would email me.
Of course they didn't reply.
I arrived, they key had been left next door at the kebab shop, this I soon discovered was a regular arrangement .
We had 1 double, another double that you had to go into to get to a 3rd double. This to me is not 3 doubles so I was not happy.
I emailed Booking .com who said they agreed with me that I should get a discount.
They replied and wouldn't give a discount stating that I had 3 double rooms!!!
The hotel is well situated as it is only about 300 yards from a railway station that is only 2 stops away from the central station, the trip only takes about 5 mins.
The accommodation is very basic and there is a funny smell in the place, my children described it as a "chow mein" like smell.
As far as I could tell three was only one shower for several rooms.
We were given a code for free wi-if, none of us could get connected.
I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2015

When we arrived at the hostel, it was as if we had returned into 1980's Soviet Russia. We didn't really inspect the room as we headed out almost immediately but upon our return later on that night, we noticed that multiple planks under one of the beds were broken, the room wasn't very clean, creepy crawlies everywhere, the shower head in the bathroom was broken. The only positive is that the wifi is fast!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2015

+ Room was large and clean
+ Location is excellent directly at S-Bahn station
+ Restroom are shared but very clean

- room was cold and very basic, a little run down
- hardest bed I ever had, mattress was cheapest model and very thin
- blankets were very thin, I've frozen to death and head to wear my jackett while sleeping
- no towels in room, perhaps I should have asked the lady, but am I the room service?
- The rate was outrageous

If you're on a tight budget and get a cheap rate and are tough, give it a try.

Otherwise: Avoid