All reviews better than average porta nigra train station old town supermarket
Reviewed 9 June 2017

We loved the Hotel Paulin from the cheerful check-in to the easy check-out. Our room looked identical to the one featured in the photo shown here. After arriving in Trier following a week on the river in a tiny boat cabin, our "comfort room" felt like a palace. Plus, our intended hotel (Casa Chiara) had turned us away because they claimed I had not completed their reservation process (see my review) so we were without lodging upon arrival--the traveler's nightmare. The tourist office at Porta Nigra (excellent service there) located the room at the Paulin for us. It should be noted that the Paulin beds with real goosedown pillows were wonderful, but on the day we checked out, brand new mattresses were lined up in the hallway awaiting placement! Breakfast is optional for 8 Euros (I think). Highly recommend this place.

Room tip: We asked for a room off the street, which we received. This hotel is one block from the Porta Nigra and could not have been better situated!
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank msjcurry
Reviewed 21 May 2017

Our room was very clean and large, including the attached, private bath. Great location for walking to any of the tourists sites in Trier. Excellent service checking in and out and no issues with language as the staff speaks both German and English. There is a secure, onsite parking garage, but there is limited availability to you car after certain hours.

Date of stay: May 2017
1  Thank NicholasL1130
Reviewed 15 May 2017

This hotel met or exceeded my expectations, very well managed, very comfortable, reasonably priced and a good location, what more could you ask? I can truly say that me nan my wife have nothing but compliments for this hotel.

Date of stay: May 2017
1  Thank Bvroseng
Reviewed 22 November 2016

I have been to Trier at the high season in the middle of August and was looking for a decent and reasonably priced hotel somewhere very close to the Trier´s historical center. Finally I booked for Hotel Paulin for one night, single room. I came in the late afternoon and was led to hotel´s parking lot, which is in the hotel courtyard. I got a great room for very reasonable price for that time period and went outside for walk. It is just 200 metres from the Porta Negra roman gate and short walk from the Trier Cathedral. Overall the hotel was great, perfectly located, all ammenities needed were available, great breakfast and attentive personnel. When you approach the hotel for the first time and see the outside you would not expect such a great hotel, but my experience and surprise with that was great. Will come back on my next visit.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2016

After a couple of days in Munich in October we realised that hotel rooms would be hard to find before getting back to France.
We checked our usual chain hotel and fell back to this one.
Really, we fell forward ! Better value, nice hosts, comfortable and fantastic breakfast !
Parking is very reasonable too.

Date of stay: September 2016