“Nice and simple Spanish tapas”
Review of Cafe Madrid

Cafe Madrid
Ranked #20 of 895 Restaurants in Leipzig
Price range: US$17 - US$90
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Zentrum
Reviewed 9 September 2020 via mobile

We had a nice meal, tasty tapas, good service and friendly atmosphere. Is this a tourist place? Sure but... so what? Our kids and dog enjoyed very much
Suggestion: Include some Pacharan in the digestives menü ;-)

Date of visit: September 2020
2  Thank Alex_Carlos_G
Write a reviewReviews (638)

Reviewed 27 July 2020 via mobile

Excellent tapas and drinks! A good variety considering we are in Germany. The food quality was great and dessert - churros was awesome! We reserved online and it worked great! Strongly recommend if u r stuck in Germany and can’t travel to Spain for the real thing.

Reviewed 25 July 2020 via mobile

The photos don’t do it justice... The interior looks much better than the photos.

Having said that, well, my overall experience was less than excellent. Maybe I just ordered the wrong things... but the Gazpacho was excellent. Nothing recent to compare it to, and this was a bit creamier than I expected, but the flavors were there with just the right amount of spice. Well done.

I also went with the Andalucia mixed platter. Forgetting that it was really enough for at least 2, overall everything was wayyyyy too salty.

And I matched it all with a red Rioja. I believe the Crianza...? Anyway, the costlier of the bunch. It was actually very good, but served too warm. The waiter offered to chill it a bit, but not knowing what that might entail, I stuck with it, especially as the air temperature was cooler than the wine.

Now... the real point of irritation was when I first arrived. Yes, the outdoor places were full, but I asked if it would be possible to nevertheless sit outside. The person handling the newcomers simply replied no. Not a, “it’ll be about a [ ] minute wait, or something a bit more helpful. Just a curt, flat”no”. Really annoying.

Generally, my take away was that, like with most places in the heart of a tourist district, it was high on the look, but lacking in the substance. Certainly there are better options.

1  Thank jimchik
Reviewed 18 July 2020 via mobile

Really good selection of food and wine and very tasty too. The service is fast and friendly. The place was full.

Reviewed 13 October 2019 via mobile

Have not been back to Café Madrid for some years now, but we finally were able to go there on our last trip to Leipzig. I always enjoy the food. We had the big plate with tapas variations (enough food for us as a party of 3) and dessert and food was excellent. A great place to eat while you are in Leipzig, right in the city center area. But usually very busy so reservation is probably recommended.

Date of visit: October 2019