Gran Hotel Espana
US$123
US$118
US$113
US$100
Ayre Hotel Alfonso II(Oviedo)
US$55
TripAdvisor
US$67
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsblack barold towngreat locationshopping areatop floormini barfree wificathedralstreetcitytelevisioncomfortpillows
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Like many Spanish hotels, this one offers nothing at all on Sundays, apart from a dingy dark room. There was laundry littering the corridors.
Absolutely nothing in the hotel was available. Well you can go and eat in the surrounding area, but it's Sunday and all the restaurants were full. We managed a snack but by being closed they have a lot to learn from the the UK and USA in this regard to service.
Perhaps they should offer accommodation at half price.
Anyway considering the hotel was not busy the room allocated was poor, not much natural light because of the brick wall outside the windows.
Hope all the staff had a great day off but I wouldn't leave Spain if I were them as they would have to work shifts like most hotel staff do in other parts of the world .
Poor reflection on the many considerate, helpful and friendly staff in restaurants throughout Spain.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2017

The hotel is in a great location, it has parking in the property, and it looks clean, but to us, that was about it. The room beds were the worst we have ever had in any lodging we have been. It was like sleeping on box springs ! Although the temperature was cool outside, the room was also warm, and they told us that they do not turn the air conditioning on until June. As our room faced the main street, we could not open the windows , as it was very noisy, and you could not sleep. We were offered a quieter room in the back for our second night, but were also told that it was warmer, so what was the point, if it has no air conditioning !
The staff was cold, and a bit unfriendly, so we were not too happy with this place.
We still can not get over the fact that this hotel offered such bad beds in our room.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2017

“Had a great night stay - super comfy room, and it was so nice to have a bath and shower. A great place to stay after completing the Camino and returning to Santander. The Black Bar was a great find situated in the hotel serving delicious cocktails, meticulously made by the barman. Oveido is a delightful place to visit - the cathedral is a must and very interesting. Plenty of places to eat and drink. We do hope to be back again soon to discover more.”

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank phil-lou-m1988
Reviewed 11 April 2017

The location is terrific for the old part of the city and for the shopping area as well. The outside is attractive as it is a converted hotel from a hundred years ago or so. Right in front is the quaint store used by Woody Allen in his film set, supposedly, in Barcelona. Inside the reception area is small and unpretentious. My room was small but had a huge balcony-terrace. It was nice and warm when outside it was cold, although this made the bedding a bit hot for my taste. The pillows were an uncomfortable mixture of flat and long and too large and square. Television was just in Spanish as far as I could tell. I gave up and used my laptop via the free wi-fi. As I was out all day from morning until late at night, I didn't require the room to be a place to lounge in or even to work in much. Perhaps the best thing was the relation price-value, for the room price was very reasonable for the location and comfort I thought. However, I did have to pay €14 a night parking on top. I didn't have breakfast or eat at the hotel, so I can't comment on that. My room on the top floor was very quiet except on Friday night when one could hear the shouting of late-night revellers. For the price that I paid, I would return.

Room Tip: Top floor was very quiet, and rooms have a terrace.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2017

The hotel was in a very good location, few steps from the Old town. Nothing fancy but basic. Unfortunately it was noisy but I was too tired to be bothered. I stayed in the first floor in room 120. There was noise from the bar and the street. The downside was that cleaner had forgotten to remove stuff from the previous guests in the bathroom.The continental breakfast costs 5 euros. Alternatively you can go to the old famous patisserie opposite and have some carbayones (local sweet - amazing). The staff is really friendly. The parking costs 14 euros. The water from the mini bar 1.20 euros.

Room Tip: noisy but in a really good location.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo