We had booked this very much last minute, as the holiday we had already booked in Corfu was cancelled at the last minute. We didn't have much chance to look around, and settled on this place because it looked reasonable, and there was a good last-minute deal. We had chosen half-board for the Corfu trip, so we took it for this one, too.
First sight of the hotel wasn't too encouraging, in that it had lots of small tourist-type shops near, and right next to, it. The reception area was fine, though, and the lady at the desk was helpful, and spoke reasonable English. The Hotel is an L-shape, with the inside of the L overlooking the pool and garden area,and the outside, the busy roads and where we were, first night, the loading bays and the bins.
The room was long and narrow, with a small kitchen section against one wall; electric kettle, filter coffee machine, 2 x hotplates. No oven or microwave; adequate for tea, coffee, or very basic cooking; twin beds of a decent width, average length, with the sleeping area separated from the rest of the room by a small wall, about 5ft (about 1.52m) high. Adequate furniture, plenty power points, quite good wardrobe space. Decent bathroom facilities. There was a balcony the full width of the room, with the usual plastic table & chairs (2), and a system of strings for drying clothes. Smoking is allowed on the balconies here, but not in the rooms.
First night was so noisy we had trouble sleeping; delivery lorries at all hours, large hotel bins being moved and emptied at around midnight, cars making maximum noise into the wee small hours and revellers revelling at the tops of their voices. Then it started again early doors. Not a good start. So we complained, and asked for another room - sorry, none available, unless you want one at the pool side for extra 9 euros a night. We'd booked for 2 weeks, so opted to pay; it was well worth it. If you're going to stay here, pay extra for the poolside rooms.. Not only does it cut the noise level a lot, but you should have (when it's not under cloud) a great balcony view of Mount Teide (pronounced locally as "Tayday") and sunshine for most of the day, depending which wing you're in.
The restaurant is like a cafeteria; all self-service buffet-style meals, in a large room with terrible accoustics, but the food was generally very acceptable, with good variety and staff on hand to clear the empties as you go up for your next course(s). And you eat as much as you want. The bar area is a bit soulless, but it does have live music - one player, electronics and occasionaly a singer - most nights.
The pool area is grassed rather than paved, and you fetch your own sunbeds from stacks round the garden area. It's spartan, but kept clean, and does have a small pool bar with some catering facilities of the hamburger & chips variety. The pool is clean and clear, and no apparent chlorine to burn your eyes.
Staff was all helpful; most had some English. The place was kept clean throughout. There are lots of eating places very close, and a supermarket 2 minutes walk away. The beaches are quite a distance down very steep hills, but easily walkable, or only 3.15 Euros by taxi. The hotel caters for a number of different countries, too; more than we've seen generally in The Canaries. There were a lot of Spaniards, Germans, French and Scandinavians, with some eastern europeans. Generally, the British were outnumbered when we were there.
It was a real mixture, as I said, of good and bad. But once we'd moved rooms, it all seemed much better, and our evenings out on the balcony, looking at the mountains, were real nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Teide Mar is located nearby center of La Paz, the most popular residential areas of Puerto de la Cruz with interesting sights, shops, bars and restaurants. Puerto de la Cruz is reachable within walking distance. A beautiful place with a fishing harbor an nice old town centre with colonial buildings- • 4,000 m2 of lush subtropical garden area • In the near of the centre of Puerto de la Cruz • Special senior activities and facilities • Adults friendly Accommodation Teide Mar offers 257 junior suites with a combined bedroom and living room. The junior suites are designed with senior guests in mind, with for example higher beds, long shoe horn and easy opening wardrobes. The hotel also offers store space for scooters and walkers. Room types available: • Junior suite (approx. 36,5 m2 including balcony) with standard view for 2-3 guests • Junior suite (approx. 36,5 m2 including balcony) with pool or garden view for 2-3 guests Room facilities: • Furnished balcony • Single beds (in most junior suites with duvet beddings and reading lamps • Double bed (grand lit) (in a few junior suites) (only upon request) with duvet beddings and reading lamps • Extra bed type: Sofa bed • TV with satellite channels (flat screen 32 inches) (free of charge; Remote control with deposit) • Safe (against charge) • Telephone • Kitchenette • 2 hot plates • Coffee machine (filter – German coffee) • Kettle • Kitchen equipment (basic) • Fridge • Dining place • Bathtub with shower (with small steps for easier access) • WC • Hairdryer Cleaning 5 times per week, change of linen 2 times/week, change of towels 3 times/week. Food & Beverage smartline Teide Mar offers a buffet restaurant and both inside bar and pool bar. Restaurant & bar facilities: • Buffet restaurant • Bar • Pool bar The hotel offers the following meal plans: • Self-Catering • Bed & Breakfast • Half board Breakfast (8 a.m. – 10 a.m.); lunch (1 p.m. -3 p.m.) and dinner (7 p.m. – 9 p.m.) are served in the buffet restaurant. Pool & Beach The hotel provides its guest a 100 m2 large pool, which is heated to approx. 22-24 degrees during November till March. Sun loungers by the poolside and parasols on the grass are available free of charge. The pool is equipped with steps, a ladder and a hand rail for easy access. Guests can additionally can relax in the 4. 000 m2 botanical garden, which lays 500 meters from the hotel or indulge theirself with a massage which is organized by Thomas Cook host (against extra charge). In the west of Puerto de la Cruz you will find the 260 meter long Playa Jardin with black lava sand. Next to the Lago Martianez area you will find an additional beach, "Playa Martianez", also with black lava sand which is typical for this island. Sports, Relaxation & Entertainment smartline Teide Mar has a special senior program, including walking tours, yoga and other activities - arranged by the Thomas Cook host in the hotel (all at an additional charge). Furthermore, guests have the have the choice between the following various activities: • Tennis court (against charge) • Pool table (against charge) • Yoga – organized by the Thomas Cook host (against charge) • Nordic walking tours – organized by the Thomas Cook host (against charge) • Afternoon coffee party in one of the local coffee shops - organized by the Thomas Cook host • Shopping tours - organized by the Thomas Cook host • Singing groups - organized by the Thomas Cook host • Weekly wine degustation – organized by the Thomas Cook host (against charge) • Game room to play cards or bridge* • TV room* • Reading room * *) Please note that the game room for playing cards, the TV room and the reading room is one sole room Internet • Free Wi-Fi throughout the whole hotel • Stationary computers available (against charge) Additional Information • Please note: Hotel is recommended for 16+ • Reception • Elevators • Mini market • Self-service laundry–against charge • Medical center – across the road • Dog friendly (up to 4kg) – upon request • Parking facilities available in the nearby streets of the hotel – free of charge Contact Teide Mar Calle Acevinos, Urb. La Paz 6 Spain , Tenerife 38400 Puerto de la Cruz ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your smartline Teide Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Teide Mar Apartments Hotel Puerto De La Cruz
- Smartline Teide Mar Puerto De La Cruz, Tenerife