“Average room, unpleasant service”

Catalonia Plaza Cataluna
Ranked #140 of 519 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 20 July 2017

I've just checked out, and been left absolutely furious with this place. While I calm down I'll talk about the facilities...

The room is average. If you're hoping for a sleek, modern hotel, this isn't it. My bed was firm but with a dip in the middle where the mattresses joined. The pillows are hard and thick, so I have neck ache. The air conditioning is feeble - it's better than nothing, but not much. The bathroom works but has seen better days, with loose tiles behind the shower, half-removed ceiling panels and so on. Personally I prefer a shower screen to a curtain that wraps itself around my legs while I shower. All in all, it's a bit 1980s. It was "luxury" once...

To their credit, the wifi is good, the room was spotlessly clean and there are coffee/tea facilities in the room. However, the kettle boils over however much water is in it, which came very close to soaking my laptop!

English TV choices are limited to three news channels.

Then we come to the "service". Check in was fast but brusque. Efficient but not friendly at all. These guys should walk round the corner to any of the H10 hotels to see how it's done right. They forgot to leave fresh towels one day, but the room staff were fast and polite, although even though the young lad commented that the lock wasn't working properly they did nothing to fix it.

On day 2 of my stay, I got up to have a shower and there was no water. None. I called reception, and was told that it would be fixed in 45 minutes - this was at 8:30 and I needed to be in the office at 9! No apology, just "it's not working" - yes, I knew that. She offered a complimentary breakfast, I said I didn't have time on the day but would have it another day, which she said was OK. The water was fixed in 45 minutes exactly, again efficient but a bit blunt.

I went to have breakfast this morning, to be told I couldn't have it as it wasn't the day of the water outage! I just walked away, packed and went to check out. The girl on reception was just unbelievably rude. She stood there, arms folded, telling me that the breakfast was offered "while" the water was out, not for any other day. And then argued that it was my misunderstanding that "a" complimentary breakfast didn't mean that. Whatever the rights and wrongs, for a €20 breakfast that maybe costs them €3 they lost a customer forever. Asking "what do you want me to do" with arms folded and a bad attitude was very strange. Try apologising, and realising that a €20 breakfast to keep a €800 customer is a good investment!

I will not be going back. I refuse to be spoken to in the manner they did, for an ageing hotel, and expect to pay handsomely for the privilege. Back to H10 for me.

Room Tip: If you must, ask for an exterior room so you get some light
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Mr_Spock_NCC1701
PlazaCataluna, Gerente at Catalonia Plaza Cataluna, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear Mr_Spock_NCC1701,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience in our hotel. You review is really useful for us in order to keep improving our services everyday. I apology for the incident you had during your stay. As you can read in order reviews, our guest satisfaction is one of our main targets.

If you give us another chance in the future we will do our best to make it better.

Best regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,590)

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Location of this hotel is hard to beat. Central, near metro, sights, shopping and restaurants. Breakfast is very good with lots of variety. It is noisy- all the noise in the hall and other rooms is easily heard. Air conditioning could barely keep up with the July heat.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear OldGuy319,

Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel and for the excellent rating. I'm glad that your stay turned out perfect.

If you come back in the future it will be a pleasure for us to welcome you again.

Reviewed 18 July 2017

The hotel is old. The last guest had a smoked on it before us. The bathroom has a no good smell. There's a new site on it and maybe the room's should be on a better qualification. I will not recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear Fabio B,

First of all we would like to thank you for your comments, as the opinion of our guest is of the utmost importance to us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We regret the incidents you had during your stay with us. We have taken actions in order it doesn´t happend again.

Best regards

Reviewed 18 July 2017

The location is perfect for downtown Barcelona and the service we received exceptional. The breakfast is huge and of the highest quality. The bedrooms are clean, large and have a full ensuite bathroom. The small pool and bar area becomes your oasis away from the intensity of Barcelona. We had a meal in the associated Contempo restaurant and it was outstanding and reasonably priced with great service.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends

Dear MWK499,

Reviewed 18 July 2017

Well located, professional and very friendly staff :)
I appreciate fast check in and fast check out
Very clean hotel, excellent breakfast, room is confortable but small
Rate is very expensive but during summer time you can expect very high rate

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business