“Great to spend half a day with kids”
Review of Barcelona Zoo

Barcelona Zoo Entrance Ticket
Ranked #187 of 757 things to do in Barcelona
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 8 April 2018

I was pleasantly surprised with Barcelona Zoo. When planning our trip, I was under the impression that the zoo would be smaller and we would get around in a couple of hours. But in fact it's quite large, very clean and has some very cool animals in well maintained habitats. Especially the terrarium and all the different primates are highlights. There are several restaurants and a big playground for kids. We ended up staying longer then planned and after half a day we had to drag our son out of there.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,452)
All reviews
"dolphin show"
in 321 reviews
"albino gorilla"
in 29 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
in 25 reviews
in 16 reviews
"euros"
in 80 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018

very nice zoo contains all kinds of animals from samll insects to elephants.map guide and description of each one

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

After visiting many zoos throughout Europe I was keen to visit Barcelona Zoo, I had read a lot of mixed reviews but decided to see for myself. Overall it is a very good zoo, large in size and the majority of the animals appeared to have an adequate sized enclosure.

On arrival to the zoo the queues were very long and throughout my visit I was constantly pushed and walked on by both adults and children which altered my opinion of my visit slightly but that's at no fault of the zoo and it is good to see the attraction as being popular but made it difficult for me to view some animals.

As with a lot of the zoos the prices of food and drink were not reasonable but I thought it was particularly expensive in Barcelona Zoo so try bring your own refreshments as there are a few picnic areas.

The zoo is located near to the city centre but we travelled by metro from our hotel.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I usually enjoy visiting zoos but I will think twice about going to a zoo again after my visit to Barcelona zoo. We booked tickets before we arrived and got money off so I thought we had a good deal. Unfortunately the visit to the zoo left me feeling incredibly upset. In my opinion the animals do not look well cared for or happy. The enclosures are far too small and not appropriate for the large animals. To see dolphins swimming around in circles in a small pool was heart breaking. There were customers throwing food into the enclosures and when we asked them if they should be doing that they laughed and carried on. I saw no staff/animal carers whilst walking around the zoo. The only hope i have is the money I paid for the tickets paid for some animal food. Somebody needs to take action to ensure these animals are better cared for. I was looking forward to seeing all the animals but it left me feeling very sad on holiday. Avoid.

6  Thank Rebecca R
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Be warned... there are, sadly, still dolphins here. I would have avoided this zoo had I realised prior to entering. However, to rate the zoo as a zoo, it is massive and there’s tonnes to see. Mostly the animals look well cared for with good enclosures. In the reptile area, Some people seemed to find the mice (which were feed for the reptiles) to be cruel and didn’t like it... but seemingly were happy to watch dolphins?! However, the mice are already dead and it’s feed for the reptiles who only eat when they’re hungry so to feed them out of public View seems like it would be unrealistic.
As mentioned above, the Zoo is very good but I wish I’d done my research first as I wouldn’t have spent money knowing there were dolphins here so I can’t rate 5 stars.