“4* with objections”

Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel
Ranked #259 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Pros: I really enjoyed the quiet location which was so soothing after all day in the noisy city center (though close to the metro station). Free non-alcoholic mini-bar was great and so was the free swimming pool on the roof. Free wifi (but quite a bad signal in our room).
Cons: Reception staff - they seemed to be quite unsure with their english and I think that´s why they made us feel a bit unwelcome (they didn´t smile at all). Housekeeping - VERY negligent, we stayed in the hotel for 5 nights and we had ONE roll of toilet paper for the whole stay!!! Even if there was really very little left, the housekeeping didn´t replace it with the new one. This really shouldn´t happen in a 4*!!!!!! Sometimes it seemed that the only thing the housekeeping did was making the bed and taking out trash. I was very disappointed with the housekeeping service. Once they "forgot" to refill our coffee and tea and the minibar but this we could survive...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for your comments, as it is through them the best way we can improve the quality of our service, understanding the perception of our product and most important the quality and friendly service we provide.

We will have very much in mind your impressions and we will work to improve these points marked so that in the next visit your perception of the product received is entirely satisfactory.

Gerente Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,449)

Reviewed 23 June 2011

We were quite pleased with our 3 day stay at the Senator. Located sufficiently away from the noise of downtown to provide an excellent venue for restful sleep, yet a short, easy subway trip to Las Ramblas or any of the many attractions. We like walking and easily covered the 5 km to the rambla in 45 minutes. Good way to see the city too. Subway stop is only a few blocks away. This is a big, attractive highrise hotel in a decent area.

Staff were attentive and helpful. Free wifi worked well. We especially liked something that is lacking in many European hotels: In room coffee! Gotta admit tho - it was instant, but still pretty good. Spacious room and bathrooms. Everything worked well. Took me a minute to figure out the "room key circuit breaker", but it's really super easy, and a great green idea!

Oh - almost forgot: The great FREE mini-bar. That's right - I did say FREE. Each day: 2 orange juices, 2 non-alcoholic beers, 2 soft drinks and 2 waters. Never had that before.

We don't eat breakfast, so cannot comment on that, but we did have one dinner at the Senator, and it was well presented and tasty. We definitely would stay here again.

2  Thank wilfulRiverside_CA

Dear Guests,

We also want to thank you for your comment friendly on the staff of the hotel, as well as talk about what the rooms are spacious and all the details, for example, mini-bar free, or wi-fi free.

We wish to reiterate our thanks and we hope to be able to greet you in any of our establishments.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Room are small and could be cleaner. Furniture are old. The Spa center is 15 Euros per person. I've expected more for a 4 star hotel.

Good point, free wifi in the whole hotel.

Dear Guests,

We regret very much not having covered their expectations and we would be delighted that will give us the opportunity to return to meet him at any of our establishments.

Reviewed 8 June 2011

OMG…where were my eyes, when I was mapping this hotel! This hotel is FAR!!!! When I found it I was excited since it was with in the budget I was looking for, when we got to the hotel I wanted to kick myself (after I did). It is all the way by the stadium, metro is few blocks down. Location of this hotel is not great at all if you want to explore Barcelona and be in the center. I am still kicking myself.
There were a lot of elderly people in the hotel!
Hotel has a pool/spa…I did not go as I thought it would be free for guests, NO…2 hrs for pool = 15 Euros!
Breakfast = 15 Euros for… Get this….Coffee, Milk and some other item….I am still thinking this is a joke, if I have milk only…15 Euros for Milk??!!
Super Breakfast = 20 something Euros….here we go…. Coffee, Milk and some other item + egg and bacon
When leaving the hotel we walked straight down (passed the light) street like you going downhill feeling on the left had a nice café place with fresh croissants, pastries, Panini, delish coffee …. We had 2 croissants 2 coffee and other stuff my bill was never over 10 euros for BOTH!
Room was spacey and clean…loved how the widow slid to the side and you can see out.
Asked for a king/queen bed when booking …room had two twin beds set up as a queen/king, very uncomfortable! Kept getting into the middle, after so much walking there was no good rest on this bed, even though it could be adjusted to watch tv and what not, it was not comfortable! Another minus is you can hear people in the hallway, especially if they are not being considerate and the door slamming was heard which was like a slap if one is trying to sleep on this uncomfy bed.
House keeping was mediocre on of the examples; we had toilet paper upon arrival less than half, upon cleaning the room after the first day, she leaves us a roll which has less then the one already hanging. So I have two rolls which do not equal to half of one!
Hotel staff were indifferent, seemed like they did not want to be bothered. Asked to call to confirm my hotel/airport pick up, paper had info written in eng/span…stated its opened 24 hrs…she dialed and after two seconds told me there is no one there to call them after 4 and one of her “colleagues” here will do it, and that its siesta. She just did not want to do it, at a hotel in Madrid, they called and confirmed for me w/o any problem and it took 2 seconds! After we left hotel I called from my cell hoping there will be an English speaking person on the other line and alas I confirmed! They could not advise on what to do, where to go and so forth…I hesitated talking to them….
There is nothing about the hotel for me to say that I had a 4 star experience! And it was FAR! If I would have realized this before booking I definitely would have booked some where closer to the center.
I would not recommend this hotel if one is planning to see the city. For elderly it is prob an ideal choice.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Dear Guests,

We regret very much thatyou did not like the location of the hotel, the most important in a hotel in Barcelona is to be well connected, and our hotel has possibility to take metro, train or bus. We are certainly in the outside of the centre, so we are in a quiet zone of Barcelona.

Concerning the prices in fact the Spa is not included in the price, and it´s indicated on all the websites, as well as the parking, but instead is included safe, minibar, coffee and tea in the room, etc. This is different than other hotels.

In reference of the service breakfast, the cost is 14 euros per person for breakfast, with 75 different products and show cooking with eggs, omelets, bacon, etc.

The size of beds depends of the kind of booking that you make it.
Finally, I will say that we have double doors to isolate the noise, but I am very sorry about the behavior of the rest of the guest.

Therefore we regret that your stay was not perfect, and we hope to have the possibility to offer you our service in the future.

Reviewed 15 May 2011

My partner arranged this holiday for us and chose this hotel based on the reviews and location; we weren't disappointed!

Hotel - A stunning large reception area with a piano bar, bar restaurant, buffet restaurant, 3 lifts, internet room and spa. Rooms very spacious with recliner beds (brilliant for watching tv & reading), air con and fan, free mini-bar (we had 2 pepsi, 2 juice cartons, 2 bottles of water & 2 bottles of beer - Cruzcampo or low alcohol) restocked daily, lovely bathroom, the view wasn't overly impressive but can't complain with the area. Free WiFi too, just ask at reception for the codes. The rooftop lounge area and pool is lovely for a relax.

Location - We normally go package holidays so did a fair bit of research on how to get from the airport to the hotel without having to be fleeced for a taxi ride! When you get out the airport, follow the signs for the Renfe train. Tip - When you get to the station, I would recommend buying a T-10 ticket from the machines on your right (these cost 7.85 euros and allow you to use the Renfe train, metro and buses in Zone 1 of Barcelona) and any of the trains at the station will take you to Barcelona Sants (3 stops away). Then get the L5 (blue) line on the metro towards to Collblanc then the hotel is around 10 min walk up the main road. The entire transport system in Barcelona is fantastic, so clean and efficient! This is a very residential area, which we quite liked, but neither of us able to speak much Spanish we did struggle at times, but the locals are very friendly! Most restaurants don't open until 9pm but something to get used to! A few little pastry cafes are dotted around the hotel which are perfect for breakfast!

Camp Nou - A 10-15 minute walk down the road from the hotel, you can see the rooftop of the stadium from the road outside the hotel! We didn't go to a game, but I would definitely recommend the stadium tour! Tip - if you have a smart phone & Facebook account, use the hotel WiFi (or internet room if not) and check in at the Camp Nou (FC BARCELONA), I had to manually search it but it does pick it up! It has an offer for 2 for 1 at any Nou Camp experiences, just show the offer at the ticket booth and save 19 euros!

Barcelona Centre - The metro stop Collblanc takes you straight to Segrada Familia (around 8 stops on the L5 line) and what a sight! We didn't do the tour bus, walked instead down to Las Ramblas then to sea front where we went to the aquarium and had lunch at a place called Gino's, which was amazing! Barcelona is an amazing place which will suit all ages and tastes, we will definitely be going back and recommend this hotel to anyone without hesitation!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BecLouLou
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2011

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for recommending to all your contacts.

We once again thank you and are looking forward welcoming you to any of our establishments.