“Chic interiors, views of La Ramblas, sensational rooptop bar & pool, what more could you want?!”
Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #32 of 520 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 12 September 2010

My partner and I recently stayed at Hotel 1898 for 4 nights and enjoyed every minute of it.

Our room (room 342) had a great view of La Ramblas, the main street/pedestrian mall and hive of activity. When I opened our little balcony's doors and heard the buzz of activity, I instantly got a feeling for this vibrant city.

Our room and the entire hotel has been well styled (our room with black and white tones, I noticed other rooms with red and green schemes - black/white definitely look the best in my opinion). Our room was quite big, with separate entrance hall way, big cupboards, lounge chair and good-sized bathroom. It was clean and tidy, and we appreciated the security of a pin operated safe.

I noticed some noise - not to be unexpected, as the hotel is located in the middle of the busiest part of town. There are very low rumbles of the underground trains, which were barely perceptible on the third floor. My partner and I had no problems sleeping, but imagine a very light sleeper could have troubles. If you want peace and utter tranquility, maybe the busy city centre (and this hotel) are not for you.

The roof top bar and pool is excellent. There are plenty of lounges, and there is a cocktail menu. I highly recommend the Amaretto Colada, delicious! We enjoyed a breakfast on the roof top too, you need to book this as there is only 4 tables. Although not cheap for a breakfast (25-ish euro) we were served coffee, juice, cava, pastries, toast, fruit, hot dish (choice of eggs / bacon / sausages etc). When we realised how much food there was, we certainly did not complain about the value. With a breakfast like that, you can skip lunch!

The basement level pool is much quieter, and features a steam room and sauna. I found these facilities to be well maintained and clean. The sauna/steam room was unisex, which I find a little uncomfortable, but I suppose they did not have enough room for separate facilities. There is also a gym which is well equipped (by hotel standards).

Top marks for the computers in the level 1 library with free internet access. It is good to see more hotels offering free internet.

We did not have any issues with the staff, they were friendly and very helpful, pointing out local attractions on the maps (which they supplied) and helping us with restaurant bookings. We were given a late checkout (to 1.30pm) and they happily minded our bags until our 3.30pm departure.

In summary -
the best things are: location, location, location! chic styling, spa facilities, rooftop pool.
possible negatives: not good for light sleepers, not for the budget-conscious

PS - big tip - use the Aero Bus to/from the Barcelona airport. At 5 euro per person, it is a bargain. It is very frequent (every 5 minutes) and easy to catch. It is within easy walking distance of Hotel 1898.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bondibubble
Write a ReviewReviews (4,705)

Reviewed 9 September 2010

4 adults from Bergen, Norway visited Barcelona from Sept 3 - 6. We were all very pleased with this hotel, and will for sure recommend it to our familily, friends and colleagues :-) Great location, nice staff - we ate breakfast here every morning. Roof terrace was also great.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2010

This hotel was simply wonderful! Beautiful lobby, rooms and terrace top swimming pool with bar. You could look out and see all of Barcelona. The hotel was right in the middle of La Ramba with plenty of action. Hotel staff was very, very nice. I experienced a lot of rude people in Europe and this was our last stop. They really made up for it and I went home happy and content.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2010

This was a perfect hotel in almost every way.
The rooftop pool is a lovely place to relax and cool off. When the hotel is busy it can be difficult to find a lounger.
The drinks are expensive but no more so than any other hotel of this quality.
Our room faced a small courtyard, not onto the busy road so was very quiet.
The spa is lovely and free to use, on the first visit I took my bathing costume with me and expected to change in the spa. There is one changing room but only one, and no hair dryer.
It seems easier to come down in ones bathrobe and return to ones room to get dressed etc. This is what most people did.

We had breakfast included and on one day we paid extra to have it on the terrace. This was the most magnificent breakfast I have ever had, but you will need to be very hungry indeed. The other days we had breakfast in the main dining room, this too was lovely but we had been spoilt by the terrace.

I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Hotel 1898 was everything we thought it would be and more...Excellent room ,service and locality. Just having a two day break it was central for every sight seeing trip...We used the hotel for breakfast and evening meal which we thoroughly enjoyed. After a long day cramming in all the sightsit was bliss to eat in the hotel and then go onto the roof terrace for a night cap...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple