“A quick tasty dinner...”
Review of Mimolet

Mimolet
Ranked #15 of 524 Restaurants in Girona
Price range: US$35 - US$47
Reviewed 26 July 2017

Since we didn't have much time, we quickly searched and found this place in Girona center from the reviews of other users on tripadvisor. So it was a nice and quite place with some style.

A soft music in the background and only two other couples in the whole place, it was like a private place booked for a romantic dinner for us and the foods were great and were all served very nicely. We didn't stay long but was a nice place with quality and of course a little more expensive comparing to other places, but for me was worth to it.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

I live in Girona just down the street from Mimolet. I had been planning to go for weeks, and just have not had the chance. So one evening we decided to have some drinks in the terrace that they now run across from the front door. We were not impressed! After waiting about 10 minutes to be sat down, we had to knock on the kitchen door in order to get someones attentions. The young girl that finally helped was aloof, and generally disinterested in her job, No smile, no pleasantries, she actually seemed pretty aggravated that she had to serve us. After we finally got our drinks, we noticed she came out all smiles for what appeared to be a good friend sitting at one of the tables. She spent most of her time chatting with her friend and his dogs, while ignoring the customers.

It is a shame, as as I was looking forward to trying the restaurant, but after this experience on the terrace I will not be returning.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

After reading the reviews for Mimolet, looking at the website, and drooling over the photos; my wife and I was braying with excitement to go to this restaurant. Everything was aligned to make this an excellent experience. Tasting menu, check; seasonal menu changing monthly, check; Michelin Star rated alums, check.

Unfortunately, we were severely disappointed with the restaurant.

We both ordered the tasting menu. Five courses each with two options. This allowed for us to try both try the entire menu. While some of the dishes were excellent, the majority were OK, and two were terrible.

The highlights were the initial dishes, and one of the desserts ( the greek yogurt infused with apple was very good). The standout stinkers were all four of the main dishes and the other dessert. Nothing about the mains was terrible, but all of them were over cooked and in particular the duck (which flavor wise was spot on) was just oddly prepared; either left sitting under a heat lamp for along time, or it was cooked under a salamander already sliced. Either way I was disappointed to have a few dishes that were so good with ones that were just not.

Menu aside, the real issue was the service. I am not one complain about service in a restaurant. I have worked in both front and back of the house in a restaurant. I know serving staff come and go and do not necessarily reflect on the quality of a restaurant. But when the entire serving staff repeatedly drop the ball, it shows a systemic issue in the establishment.

The staff was very friendly but incredibly incompetent. We made reservations and arrived to a restaurant and 1/3 capacity. It is a small place with three waitstaff who did not seem to have an area of operation since all three waitresses served us. Yet somehow it was 10 minutes from being seated till getting the menu. After this another 15 minutes to order. If this was a Cheesecake Factory with a menu longer than the Gutenberg Bible I would understand; but the menu is one page with two options.

Once we ordered the pacing of the meal was perfect. Dishes came with just enough time in between. But they did not clear the cocktail glasses after the aperitif which while not a big deal is just bad service. Also the waitress serving bread with the meal, serving with a fork and spoon (as is done in other high quality restaurants) was completely unskilled in this, requiring her to ultimately scoop the bread out of the basket just holding the spoon. On multiple occasions all the wait staff were located in the kitchen leaving the restaurant completely empty of servers.

Most notably was something I have not seen in my entire life of dining out. When clearing the desert the waitress brought over dirty plates from another table and set those plates on our table to bus the dishes.

None of this alone was terrible, and at the before mentioned Cheesecake Factory, I wouldn't have thought twice about this. But this is a restaurant that you can tell wants those Michelin stars and all the ground work for them to do so is there. But the combination of the poor services and some mediocre dishes left use disappointed to say the least.

1  Thank Timothy S
Reviewed 1 May 2017

As others have reported, I had the tasting menu: 2 appetizers, mix and match: 2 meats and/or fish, and dessert, bread and water. The service was attentive and friendly. I'm trying to improve my castellano, but the waitstaff seemed to speak English, French, as well as the expected idioms. I had (my descriptions) seafood with asparagus and arugula and espumo of potatoes with clams, cherry tomatoes, and veggies as the 2 appetizers. For mains: cod with favs beans, aloe, and thyme and rice with hake, asparagus, and fish mayo. Dessert was apple with yoghurt, anis, and lemon. While the portions were fairly small, the food was well-prepared and flavorful. The bread was crusty and perfect. A glass of good local wine was 3 E. I had just been to Denmark where fixed menus are very popular and about twice as expensive. 35 E for this quality is one of the factors that makes Spain so exceptional. I also fell in love with Girona. Me encanta la ciudad!

Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

We went after a nice cycle tour for diner to Mimolet. We chose the menu. 5 dishes for 35 euro with wine. The food was great. Nice taste. Not to much but also not to less. Nice wine. Total price 55 euro pp incl the wine. We all loved it. Would come back.