“Disappointed”

Ranked #22 of 59 Restaurants in Haro
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

We had a good meal and our waitress was very pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately when she went for the bill she was intercepted by someone we assume was the manager. He didn't realise we spoke Spanish and told the waitress to add on drinks we did not have. As I was with my wife I didn't want to cause trouble so I let it go but felt it was worth letting other travellers know what will happen if they are obviously foreigners. This problem is very rare in Spain so worth pointing out. Avoid!

1  Thank R569BZmikef

Reviewed 18 July 2015 via mobile

The restaurant is well positioned in the main square, and serves as a bar, with the main place for dinner high in the second floor. The dining room is rather basic, with a large menu.

We chose a menu of the day, and this was excellent value, with large quantities of food arriving at regular intervals throughout the evening. Wines were OK as was the dinner.

This was not a sophisticated dining experience, the dinner enlivened by a large number of small children in push chairs, but it was enjoyable and we were served by willing waiters.

Reviewed 2 October 2014

We came here after a disappointing experience at a restaurant next door. i remembered the description from another TA review - about people disappearing up stairs and having a great meal - so we decided to do the same.

The restaurant is in the main square and up two flights of stairs. Once you go in, you're in a large dining room, with many locals all happily eating. The service was great, very friendly and quick, which considering how busy they were, was really good. We had lentil soup/stew to start and then had steak and pork loin in a lovely sweet pepper sauce to follow. These were all great, with the steak in particular being cooked perfectly to my husband's taste. However, it was the desserts that made the place one of the best we'd tried in Spain. They were huge! I had a cream pastry concoction, a millefeuille, with ice cream on the side. My husband had another creamy cake and we were both stuffed afterwards. Everyone seemed to enjoy the desserts most of all and everything seemed to be huge.

The wine was very nice, the atmosphere good and we never felt hurried, even although they were busy. Even although I asked for water and my husband for wine, we still got a bottle between us. It's definitely a popular place and I'd suggest that you arrive just before the main Spanish lunch time, just to make sure you get a table.

1  Thank madamedefarge
Reviewed 17 September 2014 via mobile

We stopped in for some wine & tapas & walked out satisfied. Our young waiter was extremely knowledgable of the Rioja wines & even recommended some wineries to visit. Fun little place.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Nice lunch for 13 €. Traditional restaurant located in 2nd floor. Set menu with choices for all courses. I enjoyed my salad with foie gras and chevre cheese followed by a very good entrecote steak. Lots of locals having the same set.