“Viva Italia”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Come to Spain, eat Italian. Go figure. But I'm so glad we did.

Tucked away near the Plaza de Oriente you simply have to search this place out, because it deserves more diners than were there the night we ate (the only people in the place until about 10.30 when one chap come in on his own).

Portions are on the generous size (unless you're used to supersized American meals), but that means nothing if it's not tasy, and the simple grilled cheese starter I had was both immense and immensely tasty. Followed by a deceptively large plate of teeny, perfectly formed, beautifully textured gnocchi (I'm picky about my gnocchi, I make arather good version at home but this far exceeded my efforts) I was sitting at the table virtually unable to take another bite, with a big grin on my face, and some recommended Sardinian wine left to drain.

But it would have been rude not to have dessert, and seeing a 'taster' option, with three desserts on one plate, I thought this would be a light, small option. Maybe it's because they were quiet, but each of the three could have been served on their own, and all were delightful.

As was our waitress. With time to chat we learned she was from Argentina, that she loved Sardinia (hence the wine recommendation), and I got told off for suggesting the Spanish language was like French (I can read Spanish, and understand snippets of slow coversation, without having learned any by applying my knowledge of French).

It's an encouraging start to the place knowing that it's linked to the Slow Food movement, and like the reviewer before our three-person table came to less than £100 including the bottle of wine, three courses for two people, two courses for one person, and an extra coffee.

Go. You won't regret it.

1  Thank anthbike

Reviewed 14 June 2012

Ate here the first night. Having arrived at 9pm (which admittedly is very early for Madrid) we were surprised that no one else appeared which was a real shame as the food was great and our waitress was lovely. They have an affiliation with the Slow Food movement and don't serve bog standard Italian fare such as carbonara/bolognese. I had a simple but delicious breasola salad followed by fresh linguine with clams. Simple food, nicely presented and it was reasonably priced. The bill for 3 for 3 courses with a bottle of excellent Sardinian wine was £94.

1  Thank ElleGolightly
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful lunch here recently during our weekend away to Madrid. The food was fresh, imaginative and great value. I would recommend it to anyone wanting something different in Madrid?

1  Thank David_H000
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Scolapasta is one of the best restaurants we have eaten at in Madrid. The quality and authenticity of the food is incredible (and I have lived in Italy), the portions are just right, and the prices are incredibly reasonable given how good the food is. My kids love the "polpettone" (huge meatball) as well as the pesto, which includes the potatoes and beans of the Ligurian recipe. The pear and smoked scamorza appetizer is amazing. All of the pasta dishes and salads I've tried have been terrific. Meanwhile, the one waitress is lovely, and especialchisel coming to children despite the elegant atmosphere. My son's birthday is next week and we plan to return to Scolapasta. What we don't understand is why there are so few people there whenever we go. We just hope that such a wonderful place can stay afloat in such a tough economy. Oh, and the location is great, near Opera and Parque Oriental.

1  Thank lucatoniworcester_MA
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We visit Madrid regularly to see our son who is working there. We have eaten in a wide range of restaurants and Lo Scolapasta is our absolute favourite. It is located very close to major sights such as the Palacio Real and The Opera and is brilliant either for the lunchtime Menu del Dia (around 11 euro for three courses and glass of wine) or the more expensive but superb evening meal. The style is modern, fresh Italian with a lot of innovation and the food is always delicious and beautifully presented. The staff are extremely attentive and helpful and we never feel rushed. We would particularly highlight Valeria who has a lovely cheerful smile for everyone and who speaks very good English. She always has a very warm welcome for us and this adds greatly to our enjoyment of Madrid. We are already looking forward to our next visit! We score it maximum for quality of food, outstanding service and great ambience.