“My best meal in Madrid”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This Italian restaurant is a mid priced restaurant, but it is great value for money. I think that some of the other reviewers are right in asking why people do not eat here more.

The cooking is relatively modern, but hearty. I had a starter of aubergine and mozarella topped with pesto. Simply delicious. And for my main course I had a salted steak. It was simply grilled and very tasty.

The waitress spoke English and was very friendly and helpful. The only restaurant I ate twice in to my trip to Spain.

1  Thank Ngiap_Heng

Reviewed 29 June 2012

We took our family of 5 to La Scolapasta last night and had a wonderful experience. The fig+orange appetizer was incredible, as were our main courses (osso buco, swordfish, gnocchi with beef goulash), and the desserts were fantastic. Our server was a very pleasant young woman from Argentina. Try the house rose...a great summer wine at a very reasonable price. Note that the dining room is small....it seats about 25 people. So make a reservation if you want to be sure to get a table. This is a great find in Madrid!

1  Thank nni03
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Come to Spain, eat Italian. Go figure. But I'm so glad we did.

Tucked away near the Plaza de Oriente you simply have to search this place out, because it deserves more diners than were there the night we ate (the only people in the place until about 10.30 when one chap come in on his own).

Portions are on the generous size (unless you're used to supersized American meals), but that means nothing if it's not tasy, and the simple grilled cheese starter I had was both immense and immensely tasty. Followed by a deceptively large plate of teeny, perfectly formed, beautifully textured gnocchi (I'm picky about my gnocchi, I make arather good version at home but this far exceeded my efforts) I was sitting at the table virtually unable to take another bite, with a big grin on my face, and some recommended Sardinian wine left to drain.

But it would have been rude not to have dessert, and seeing a 'taster' option, with three desserts on one plate, I thought this would be a light, small option. Maybe it's because they were quiet, but each of the three could have been served on their own, and all were delightful.

As was our waitress. With time to chat we learned she was from Argentina, that she loved Sardinia (hence the wine recommendation), and I got told off for suggesting the Spanish language was like French (I can read Spanish, and understand snippets of slow coversation, without having learned any by applying my knowledge of French).

It's an encouraging start to the place knowing that it's linked to the Slow Food movement, and like the reviewer before our three-person table came to less than £100 including the bottle of wine, three courses for two people, two courses for one person, and an extra coffee.

Go. You won't regret it.

1  Thank anthbike
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Ate here the first night. Having arrived at 9pm (which admittedly is very early for Madrid) we were surprised that no one else appeared which was a real shame as the food was great and our waitress was lovely. They have an affiliation with the Slow Food movement and don't serve bog standard Italian fare such as carbonara/bolognese. I had a simple but delicious breasola salad followed by fresh linguine with clams. Simple food, nicely presented and it was reasonably priced. The bill for 3 for 3 courses with a bottle of excellent Sardinian wine was £94.

1  Thank ElleGolightly
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful lunch here recently during our weekend away to Madrid. The food was fresh, imaginative and great value. I would recommend it to anyone wanting something different in Madrid?

1  Thank David_H000