“Terrible service, rude staff and poor food.”

Ristorante Donna Sofia
Ranked #49 of 317 Restaurants in Sorrento
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 18 September 2018

This restaurant came highly recommended to us by a colleague and the villa manager we had for our vacation rental. How terribly disappointing this visit was to our group. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. Everything went downhill from there. The service was slow and confusing. I ordered a side dish of vegetables with my meal which came way after the meal was served and everyone was done eating. I also asked specifically what the fish of the day was, as I don't like swordfish. I was told it wasn't, but it was. I am not sure if that was a language issue, but it was disappointing to have a meal I didn't like. My son-in-law's meal was forgotten and we had to ask 3 times only to have it arrive long after everyone else finished eating. The food was not the most appetizing either based on other restaurants we had been to, and we certainly expected something more than below average given recommendations. We also ordered a second bottle of wine, which didn't arrive until after asking for it twice and then only after we were completely done eating. The staff seemed unorganized and very inefficient. The evening ended in trying to secure their shuttle service back to our villa only to have one of the staff come running out and almost refuse to let us get on the shuttle claiming another couple (we were a party of 9 with 2 small tired children at this point) were there before us, which was not the case. She was abrupt, argumentative and while we offered to let the other couple go, they were kind enough to let us leave. Would never return and would not recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank travelbugcg
Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

We original booked another Michelin starres restaurant in Sorrento but i decided i wanted something different... Didnt get off to best start as no one turned up to pick us up from hotel. 30 minutes later car with no/very little seat cushions drive us to place.... one of us gluten free... had advised ahead of this.... waiter who served our starter was asked twice when starter came if it was gluten free... yes he said but after 3 mouthfuls it became apparent he had given us the wrong plates. Yes it was easy to swap them but still! . We did get an apology when the wine was served...stunning selection.... food itself was excellent... best meal we have had in ages and we eat out alot...they even made me a little candled sweet and sang happy birthday... so after the hiccups can say that we would definitely return...

Reviewed 16 September 2018

Several friends recommended this restaurant. We would never have found the Place if the restaurant didn't have a car pick us up. Well,- the car was quite late picking us up, and getting back home was even more difficult, and even for a Scandinavian the drive was scary. In the mean-time we got great Food and wine. The service could have been better, but we would like to come back, if the car-service improves.

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

I had my best meal this year at Donna Sofia! The really gracious owner made our experience amazing by walking and talking to everyone in the room. I felt like Sofia Loren and so taken care of by the delicious food. Everything was good, but the lemon cake was over the top. We also had the truffle ravioli (they shave the truffles in front of you), zuchinni flowers, the breaded fish, and several desserts. Everything was delicious! By the end of the meal, with the love and care, we were almost in tears. Grazie Mille, Mario! I will be back

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

Several people mentioned this spot and described it as a special occasions place. We were picked up for free by their shuttle! Be sure to call ahead and make sure they can get you from your hotel. It was a very tight drive down several alley like roads before arriving to the restaurant. Wow! We were greated like family and taken to a beautiful table in the outdoor courtyard. Dinner and service was amazing! The prices were so much more reasonable then in the main town or marina grande especially for their seafood! The pastry chef hand delivered our desserts and you could tell she was so proud to hand over over work! Delicious meal and a must stop for anyone visiting Sorrento! Mario the owner was in the mix greeting tables and taking orders which just goes to show the level of hospitality this place brings to each guest!