“A really good time”

Mami Camilla Cooking School
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I spent four days at Mamicamilla. I own my own pizza bar in Australia and have just learnt to make the true Napoli style pizza cant wait till I go back to Australia. I learnt so many things even after 30 years in hospitality.
The accommodation was clean,and really convenient to go for walks down to the beach in between classes
I would recommend these classes as a real time to relax and get a few tips, and enjoy the scenery

3  Thank deanna t

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I spent a week at Mamicamilla - the classes were really enjoyable and both instructors clearly real experts. There was a convivial atmosphere, both during classes and afterwards when we shared the meal and I did not feel at all awkward being on my own. The food was delicious; I learnt some great tips and began to feel more confident in making my own pasta and dough for pizza etc.

The hotel is pleasant and comfortable, and the situation a great location for travelling around a beautiful and fascinting area.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed at the Hotel next to Mami Camilla's cooking school in August with a few friends. We ate dinner here every night. The food was incredible best food I had in Italy. The service was also always impeccable thanks to Geovani always taking such good care of our table. We decided to do a cooking class our last night and I'm so glad we did. It was really such a lovely experience. It's very hands on and a great cooking class for all skill levels. We got enjoy some good music and a nice glass of wine while cooking. And after we all sat down for a meal together which was really nice. As far as the bad reviews I've read. I'm not really sure what people are looking for in this cooking class? If you're expecting this cooking class to be like an episode of Top Chef.. Perhaps you should rethink your choice but if you go into it with an open mind ready to make some good dinner and enjoy some good wine you won't be disappointed! Honestly the cooking class was really one of the highlights of my trip and I would highly recommend it to other travelers. This place is family owned and they really do a great job of making everyone that walks through those doors feel like family. This place has a special place in my heart and I can't wait to come back again!

3  Thank jojotravels87
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The receptionist at our hotel booked the course for my wife and myself and although it seemed expensive at 100 euros each we thought as that includes the taxi to and from the place and the meal and wine afterwards this would not be too bad.
As others have commented you get there and are not sure what you should do, we were lucky in one respect as an American lady was in the taxi with us and she was on a weeks course so knew the ropes.
The were five of us on the so called course and unfortunately one of the others was on a five week course at the place a spoke Italian so seemed to dominate the "teachers". We spent some time peeling the veg and rolled out a bit of dough for a pie and the rest was done by the chef so it was not in our opinion a hands on cookery lesson. The chef did explain what he was doing, however all of the cooking was done by him or his assistant.
We do agree with the comments that another reviewer made in that we paid to do the labouring because as soon as the food was cooked the place filled up and people paid for the evening meal we had prepared some of but not actually cooked.
Disappointingly we did not do anything with pasta and we expected that as a given at an Italian cookery school.
All in all we had a pleasant evening with that other people and they did supply a couple of glasses of wine each. We forgot about the apron and won't bother chasing as the ones they gave us to wear during the day were nothing special.

4  Thank cazanddick
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I have attended four cooking schools in Sorrento, and this was my least favorite experience and also the priciest. There were three of us in the class, myself and two professionals on internships. Chef Biagio greeted me, and that's the last I saw of him. His able assistant, Palmira, conducted the whole class, and one of the interns did the pasta instruction. At a cost of $130, I expected to learn from the chef! You are basically preparing a meal to serve in the restaurant that evening (this is a new definition of "paid labor" - you pay to labor!). While the items that we prepared were excellent, they were far too time-consuming to prepare at home, and I say that as an accomplished cook. The kitchen is quite small. It was fine for the three of us to have a hands-on experience, but with more students, you would probably do more watching than cooking. We did enjoy the fruits of our labors, but were kicked out at 9pm. Finally, the school is difficult to find, so be sure to have them pick you up. There are better choices in Sorrento, and feel free to contact me for the names.

6  Thank vailkat