“Fun, but not very gastronomic”

Mami Camilla Cooking School
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I came here with 7 girlfriends for a morning of italian cooking followed by lunch - so we were a group by ourselves.
We were picked up at the hotel by the owners son or son in law with only 7 seats in the car for 8 of us.
My initial reaction to the cookery school is that it bears NO RESEMBLANCE to the pretty stone "Tuscan" style cottage image that is on the apron (which we get to keep). It is on a busy main road and is not attractive at all. It is in Piano di Sorrento which is two villages away from Sorrento going towards Naples.
We were led into the kitchen to a large table and asked to shell broad beans. Then we were asked to cut up pumpkin and chop an onion. Not really stretching our culinary skills.
We were then each given a pile of flour into which we broke eggs and made pasta dough. Once the dough was formed, the chef took it from us and put it in a huge pasta making machine to knead it. We then took it in turns to put a bit through the "electric" pasta rolling machinge (OK that was good fun), but then we all made tagliatelli by putting the sheet of pasta through the cutting machine. No attempt to show us how to make other types of pasta, and nothing really learned about making pasta.
The chef made the dishes himself at the one stove in the back kitchen whilst we were given VERY SUBSTANDARD wine to drink (or leave as it was undrinkable). This included making a pasta bake with the tagliatelle and putting some parsley inside a sea bass and putting it in the oven,
We then made a strawberry tiramisu with sponge fingers, strawberries and creamy mixture of marscapone and eggs/sugar.
So our three course meal was pumpkin soup, pasta bake, a tiny bit of sea bass covered in olive oil and the strawberry tiramisu served with more of the undrinkable wine (I love my wine so if I can't drink it it is because it is really bad !).
It's not cheap at Mama Camilla, and I really don't think we got what we paid for. However, we did have a lot of fun (but then we always have a lot of fun together whatever we are doing) and I have bought a pasta making machine !!
I loved going to the cookery school with my friends, but I was very disappointed not to have learned anything useful from the occasion.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

From the way we were treated, to the food we ate, it was 5 stars! Definitely worth while! We stayed at the hotel next to the cooking school and ate here every night, on our last day we decided to also take a class.Loved it! Making fresh past in italy? Now that's an experience!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I spent four days at Mamicamilla. I own my own pizza bar in Australia and have just learnt to make the true Napoli style pizza cant wait till I go back to Australia. I learnt so many things even after 30 years in hospitality.
The accommodation was clean,and really convenient to go for walks down to the beach in between classes
I would recommend these classes as a real time to relax and get a few tips, and enjoy the scenery

3  Thank deanna t
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I spent a week at Mamicamilla - the classes were really enjoyable and both instructors clearly real experts. There was a convivial atmosphere, both during classes and afterwards when we shared the meal and I did not feel at all awkward being on my own. The food was delicious; I learnt some great tips and began to feel more confident in making my own pasta and dough for pizza etc.

The hotel is pleasant and comfortable, and the situation a great location for travelling around a beautiful and fascinting area.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed at the Hotel next to Mami Camilla's cooking school in August with a few friends. We ate dinner here every night. The food was incredible best food I had in Italy. The service was also always impeccable thanks to Geovani always taking such good care of our table. We decided to do a cooking class our last night and I'm so glad we did. It was really such a lovely experience. It's very hands on and a great cooking class for all skill levels. We got enjoy some good music and a nice glass of wine while cooking. And after we all sat down for a meal together which was really nice. As far as the bad reviews I've read. I'm not really sure what people are looking for in this cooking class? If you're expecting this cooking class to be like an episode of Top Chef.. Perhaps you should rethink your choice but if you go into it with an open mind ready to make some good dinner and enjoy some good wine you won't be disappointed! Honestly the cooking class was really one of the highlights of my trip and I would highly recommend it to other travelers. This place is family owned and they really do a great job of making everyone that walks through those doors feel like family. This place has a special place in my heart and I can't wait to come back again!

3  Thank jojotravels87