“Beautiful Public Areas, Small Expensive Room”
Review of Hotel Villa Sarah

Hotel Villa Sarah
Ranked #31 of 40 Hotels in Capri
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I stayed 10-11 Sept 2011 in room 36 (single bed) at EUR155/night incl b/f booked direct with hotel.

Hmm. This review needs to be in 2 sections. The pool, gardens and public areas are beautiful and I really enjoyed the ambiance of the place - it was a tropical oasis. I enjoyed eating breakfast alongside the pool in the morning sun. Just perfect. The grounds are kept in perfect condition. The staff were extremely couteous, friendly and helpful - everyone from the lovely breakfast lady to the 2 housekeeping ladies - each time they saw a guest they greeted them cordially. Most of the guests were German when I was there - all the staff had good knowledge of English and German.

My single room was small and pokey and the furniture old. The bathroom flooded each time you had a shower in the 1mx1m cubicle. I hate when the shower curtain sticks to you while you are showering and you peeling it off your back etc. You had to use your available towels to mop the water. This room would be worth no more than EUR65-75 in any other city of Italy - but being Capri they have the cheek to charge EUR155.

That said, I enjoyed my day by the pool - albeit it is annoying that you can only use the pool from around 10.30 to 6 - you cant even lie by the pool out of hours as it is roped off. Some guests like to get up early and go for a dip (like me) so for my EUR155 I cant even do that and its too far down to Marina Piccola for a swim at the (public) beach before breakfast.

A few other annoyances - my air con kept cutting out and I had to ring Reception 3 times to reset the switch. The TV was hard to operate - I followed the instructions but to no avail. In the end Reception advised I had to press some weird combination which was not on the instruction card. On my 2nd day HSK didnt leave me any new towels - I had to get from Reception.

Location - Villa Sarah is in a very quiet part of town, approx 15 mins uphill from the main Piazetta. This is not far BUT when its 30 degrees plus and you do it 3 or 4 times a day - from the beach, from shopping, from dinner - it really annoys you - and forget any high heels - you will kill yourself on the way down the cobble stone hill. Better to stay closer to Piazetta in my opinion. The GOOD side is that there is a small supermarket just 50m from Villa Sarah (at the crossroad of V. Tiberio/V. Sopramonte) for drinks, groceries etc (closed Sundays).

In my opinion, Hotel Luna & Hotel La Tosca have the best views and location for being in Capri - if you can stay around that location you will be better off in the heat. In fact, after my stay at Villa Sarah, I spent another 5 nights at Tosca for EUR100 a night - and while Tosca does not have a pool and spacious public areas, it was much much better value for money all round.

All in all, would I stay again? YES but not at EUR155 per night. Not worth that much.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank YasmineinSydney

Reviewed 4 September 2011

I found this hotel very nice and cheap however it is a bit cramped as the pool is directly attached to the eating area so it is annoying to eat with people are splashing around. You are also only allowed to use it from 11 until 2 then from 4 until 6. And even then you can't splash or make a sound. It is quite far from the centre and has a 15 minute uphill walk from the centre. Don't let this put you off if you want to slim down for summer!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Lovely, clean and well priced in an expensive resort. Great location also.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 17 May 2010

stayed there 3 nights in may. very homely hotel with the whole family working in the hotel. was extremely friendly with a nice location between the centre and historical part of capri.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We liked everything about this hotel. The location is excellent, far away from the thick crowds that unfortunately, in my opinion, constistute the only drawback of this spectacularly beautiful island.

I really cannot understand the bad reviews, but then again travelling is a very subjective experience.

The hote has a pleasantly designed pool area, and we found the staff to be very accomodating. Room size was also ok.

The price, like everything on else on Capri, is well above what one would pay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple