Hostel of the Sun
US$106
US$183
US$159
  • Restaurant
Grand Hotel Europa(Naples)(Great Value!)
US$89
  • Pool
US$314
US$301
  • Pool
All reviewsfree dinnercommon roombed dormfree pastafree mapshared bathroomsalamipizzalaundry servicetrain stationcommon areasamalfi coastbreakfast includedrecommend staying herefantastic stayreception areavisiting naples
Reviewed 8 March 2018

Had an interesting stay here. Met amazing people here as it is a very social hostel but other than that and the staff, my stay was horrible.

THE GOOD
The staff are amazing and very helpful. They walk you through a map of the area with their favourite places and the tourist places on it and will always help if you want to plan a day trip to somewhere.
The breakfast is free, simple (toast, jam, nutella, salami, cheese, cereal, milk, yogurt, orange juice), but free.
The staff is always offering to make you a free cup of coffee (real coffee from an espresso machine).
Free dinner 2 days a week was really good but they use paper plates and plastic cutlery which I though was super unnecessary (its 2018).

THE UGLY
The rooms had black mold growing on the curtains and window sills, the shower on the 6th floor didn't drain very well so you were stuck standing in a pool of feet water (gross). I found a BED BUG crawling up the curtain on the 2nd morning I was there, they moved me to a new dorm (along with everyone else in my room BUT we all had to bring the problem up ourselves), did everyones laundry (for free) on hot and put even bags in the drier (this is good to kill them) and since I didn't want them doing my laundry I did it myself later (still for free). Apparently they get a steam cleaner in and thats how they kill bed bugs there. The common room was down the hall from the bar which had a smoking balcony but the door was always open so the whole common room smelled like smoke to the point that I got a headache and had to go down to my bedroom sooner than I wanted (with clothes that now reeked of smoke) (so glad I didn't have a room on the 7th floor where the reception/common room/smoking balcony is because it would have been loud all night and reeked.)

Room Tip: Stay on the 6th or 2nd floor NOT the 7th.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

After a long train journey from Sicily, it was nice to be greeted by the very friendly staff here. They gave me very clear directions to the airport bus which is conveniently close. My roommates were also really nice.
The only thing I found not to be good was that the dorm was close to a bathroom which had a heavy metal door which made a loud CLANG whenever anyone used it.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2018

Stayed for two nights at the end of January in a private double room. The room was large and had a good sized bathroom. There is a common room with a TV and various games so it's a very communal hostel which was nice. The location was good and was next to the water. The staff were friendly and when you check in they give you a map and a list places to visit.

Only issue was that we did some laundry during our stay and it was about the same price as other the other hostels we had stayed in but the wash cycle was only 15 minutes long whereas other the other hostels it was a full one hour cycle. Further, the man on reception took it upon himself to put his beanie in with our load and then took out our load and put it in the dryer without us realizing. This was a kind gesture it made me extremely uncomfortable. Also, the drying cycle was so short that our clothes were still damp when he gave them to us.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maddy G
Reviewed 16 February 2018

There are no all-girls dorms here, so I got stuck in a mixed dorm, which can sometimes be okay, but here it was not. For most of the week, I was the only girl in a room full of smelly, snoring boys, and the room was tiny, so there was really no escaping.

The hostel was constantly loud. It was very much a party hostel and didn't help that I was there over New Year's. Loud late at night, loud first thing in the morning, loud all afternoon. There is no peace and quiet to be found. But even though it's a party hostel with a bar, there were still families with young kids there too. (Why would you bring your kids to a party hostel?!?!) So I also had to listen to babies and toddlers screaming before 8am most mornings. Moreover, I saw someone changing their baby's diaper on one of the tables in the dining area, which is so unfathomably disgusting--there is a reason we keep our toilets and our food in separate rooms!

The elevator is extremely complicated and does not follow any kind of normal elevator algorithm. Sometimes you could push the button and watch it go up and down past your floor multiple times... and then the button's light would go out and you'd have to push it again and hope the elevator actually showed up! One time it required a 5c coin to run... the rest of the time it was free.

The staff were very helpful at explaining where the various attractions were, and showing me the best way to visit Herculaneum, Vesuvius, Pompeii, and the Amalfi Coast. I really appreciated their advice, and they are the only reason this review is 3 stars and not one.

As mentioned, the room was small with not much space for luggage, so everyone was constantly tripping over everyone else's stuff. Each bed did have a little basket, reading light, and outlet, which was nice. There was also a table and chair by the window which was great for doing my makeup in the morning with good lighting. However, there was no outlet nearby, so I couldn't plug in my hair straightener. I had to do my hair sitting on my bed, which is probably not the safest. Also, the beds are quite low. I was on the bottom bunk and could not comfortably sit up straight without hitting my head.

There are bathrooms both in the bedroom, and out in the common area. The one in the bathroom was usually filthy, since I was sharing with a bunch of boys. But there was also a lot of mold in there. There was no ventilation at all so the bathroom was extremely steamy every time someone showered.

The wifi worked well, which was good. There is a laundry service available, which I appreciated.

The kitchen is small, dark, and cramped. The sponges were filthy, so I bought my own. I attended the dinner my first night, but the tables had been cleared away so we had to eat with our plates on our laps, and there weren't enough chairs for everyone. The dinner cost 10 euros and was just some lukewarm pasta, bread, and something else I couldn't recognize. Definitely not worth it.

The staff were so nice, but almost everything else here was so bad.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 February 2018

We stayed at the Hostel of the Sun for 3 nights. When arriving, we were pretty scared for the elevator looked so crappy, but the staff was so nice, we got great suggestions from them and the location was great as well.
Beds and showers were ok. Over all, great quality for the price you pay

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends