“Traditional roman cuisine”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Been there for a business dinner: relaxed ambiance, excellent traditional roman cuisine, at a reasonable price. Most welcome, service was really quick, even when asked for the check. The only shortcoming was a limited choice of dishes, but this was amply repaid by their quality.

Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

It is a charming little restaurant that serves traditional Italian food and a respectable price. Not rushed, neither were you left hanging around.

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

The food was pretty good but that was all. I went here with my mom on vacation and the staff were incredibly rude. It was our impression that they did not like Americans.

We go in and ask for table, there were open tables all around, and a waitress intially said they couldn’t seat us. We went back and forth as she didn’t speak any english and I only speak a little Italian (only b/c I know Spanish). Finally a manager/ owner came up to us and said that he could only seat us outside. We didn’t mind but found it odd they wouldn’t seat us inside.

The waitress came up for our drink order. Natually, I ordered in Italian, trying my best not be a dumb American stereotype. She comes back with drinks and bread. She literally threw the bread down and said condescendingly “prego”. The equivalent of an American server doing the same and saying “you’re welcome” before you have a chance to say thank you.

We get our food, finish it and end up spending 45 minutes waiting for the check. We asked two times for it and never got it, both in Italian. We finally just threw down 70 euro and left.

Do not eat here if you are tourist. They are rude and the food isn’t worth the headache.

3  Thank Jack D
Reviewed 21 April 2018

I was recommended the restaurant from a friend who lives in the neighborhood. When we entered the restaurant we were met by the Riccardo Mancinelli and his father, the eponymous Roberto. Our lunch began with lovely bruschetta with burrata and wilted puntarelle. For our first course, we had the pacheri with sea bass. The pasta was perfectly cooked and flavorful. For the main course, we opted for the potato crusted sea bass. The fish was excellent and the potatoes
provided a great counterpoint. We finished with traditional English trifle.
All-in-all, a very good restaurant. We appreciated the friendliness and excellent service.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

In a city whose historic center is overrun with tourist hordes even in the lowest months of low season, "Roberto and Loretta's place" is a haven of Roman authenticity. It's in a neighborhood just outside the city's Aurelian Wall, less than a kilometer's walk from the Metro station for St. John the Lateran ("San Giovanni"). My relatives live in the neighborhood, and we strolled here for lunch on a late February afternoon.

The front door is plastered with insignia of various Italian (and some foreign) restaurant guidebooks, so obviously Roberto and Loretta do have a transient tourist clientele supplementing their neighborhood trade. But for our visit I was the only non-local in the restaurant, and savored every flavor of Roman authenticity as antipasti, then pasta "cacio e pepe," then artichoke ("carciofo") alla romana, then pork, and finally a tiramisù to die for were served.

Next time, when my wife is with me, we'll be back!

Been to da Roberto e Loretta? Share your experiences!