“Here's the skinny on the hotel”

Holiday Inn Rome - Aurelia
Ranked #608 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 30 March 2010

The hotel is a holiday inn. If you have stayed at one before don't expect anything more. If you have not here it is. It is a hotel priced accordingly to where it is. It is half way between the airport (FCO) and the main city. The trip from the airport cost me 45 euros (65 USD) there is NO airport shuttle. The distance from the airport is very close but the traffic sucks raw [--]. Anyway we arrived rather early and they had a room available which was nice because that added a day of sight seeing for us (14 yr old daughter and myself). The rooms are small typical eurpoean sized but they are updated, clean, nice bathroom with a bidet. All the channels except for cnn are in Italian so when you get home at night just rest up for the next day. There is a shuttle into the city that stops at 2 places St Peter's Square and Palazzo Venzia. There is a 3 euro (4.35 USD) per person fee for the shuttle and you have to make a reservation, which means your day has to be planned out somewhat. Yes they must know what time you will take the shuttle out of the hotel and back to the hotel, the schedule for the shuttle out of the hotel is at 1015, 1500, 1800, 2000 the shuttle back to the hotel is at 1100, 1600, 1900, 2100. If you buy a ticket to use the shuttle and you decide not to use it you lose the money. I bought the shuttle tickets to return at 2100, but ended up taking a taxi from the Vatican City Museum exit to the hotel cost 18 euro (26 USD). The internet is not free 15 euro (21.75) for 24 hours.Bring converter plugs if you come from the US, they do not supply for US electrical plugs.

If you can spring for a hotel in the city do it (extra 75 dollars a night at most). Walking to the sights is far better than waiting to be taken there and sitting for 35 to 45 minutes in traffic. I will be here until Easter Sunday posting updates and will post some pictures of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank sinister27

Reviewed 17 February 2010

Overall good hotel. Hotel is far from city center (main tourist area) but they run complimentary shuttle between hotel and main tourist places. Shuttle is available for pick up also.
Good food in restaurant, complimentary broadband internet. Overall good value for money

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 8 February 2010

My wife and I travelled to Rome over new years this year. We booked this hotel due to the savings (we got it for $100 Cdn./night). After reading the reviews about the hotel being so far from everything and in the middle of nowhere, I was concerned. However after arriving we found it to be a great place to stay. I will agree with the reviews saying that its away from the city center. However it has the free shuttle which we used everyday. You could stay closer but you end up doing the same amount of walking anyhow. My wife and I are around 30 and in good shape so we spend the whole day out walking. At the bottom of the hill there is a Mcdonalds a gas station, coffee shop and a grocery store. So its not like you are completely isolated. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. It was nice waking up and having breakfast then hopping on the shuttle for another day out.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank roadmap12
Reviewed 16 November 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights in November 2009 for a business meeting. Stayed in room 315. Overall, I was pleased with the hotel. My room was relatively newly furnished and quite clean - as was the bathroom. From a business meeting standpoint, I would stay again, however this hotel is no where close to downtown Rome. You will need the hotel shuttle, taxi (about 20 Euros) or bus to city center. As usualy, the Good, Bad, and Ugly....

Good
- Cleanliness of hotel. Everything was quite clean including my entire room.
- Comfort of bed. The king size bed was firm and comfortable.
- There were extra pillows of varying firmness in the closet.
- Breakfast/lunch - the offerings were basic, but quite nice. I think most people can find something that suits their taste.
- Hotel offered a very nice shuttle bus into the city various times each day. A nice and appreciated touch.
- Business facilities. I rented a room for a meeting that met my expectations. The staff did a nice job in helping me arrange the room and in ensuring everything was to my liking.
- Bar was stocked with various favorite beverages and the bar manager was super nice, always meeting our needs. She was a great representative for the hotel, chatting with us about Rome and the area.
- Room 315. Very basic and on the small side, but quiet and clean. Shower and bathroom was fine, if not a bit cramped.

Bad
- Although I knew this, the hotel is not close to city center.
- Can't really walk anywhere from this hotel as it sits on a hill along a busy roadway (you will not hear the cars or at least I did not from my room.)

Ugly
- Nothing. :)

Again, I would recommend this hotel if you needed it for a specific reason, however I do not think it's a great place to stay when traveling to Rome if you like to walk to/from your hotel because that will not be possible.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We would like to say a big thankyou to all the staff for a friendly & hlpfull aproach to customers Reception wer efficiant the Bar staff did everything with a smile & nothing was too much trouble. As for the Resaurant staff I have never been served & entertained by people so humerous & friendly nothing was too much trouble for them & seemed to know what you wanted & moved Quickley to help. It was a delight to be served by every one there specialy Marco & Franco. Thank you Every one A Great experiance of Roman Hospitality.

• Stayed: September 2009