“Over and out”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$86.86*
and up
Ghost Hunting: Semi-Private Night Walking Tour of...
Ranked #115 of 2,023 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Known as Casina Rosa, this small museum is devoted to the authors' works and memorabilia.
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Well I had always wanted to visit this museum, but in my several trips to Rome I never took the time, until now. OK, that's done -- and it only took about 30 minutes of my time.

I can honestly say that the highlight of my visit was the very clean and pleasant restroom just behind reception. So for €4, I got that, and a few quiet moments among the dark and dusty books and bits and bobs of memorabilia scattered about a few mostly empty rooms.

I agree with a previous post... how much richer an experience this would be with the house transformed into a living museum with originals (or near-originals) of furniture and artifacts from the poets' time. (See the very rewarding Dickens House in London as an example.)

As it is, the house is hardly for the casual visitor (even if she has a couple of degrees in English literature).

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"biography"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 11 October 2017

The Keats-Shelley House is practically right next to the Spanish Steps, so it would be a pity if you went to the one and neglected the other, particularly if you are a literary enthusiast! many of us would have read and studied Keats and Shelley at school, so a visit to this House would be a must. It's a lovely place to go to, even for a short time, just to get the feel of these men of romanticism.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

I've wanted to visit this house for a number of years but each time I've been to Rome it seems to have passed me by, thankfully not this time. Keats' poetry has long been a significant part of my life and standing in the room in which he died, looking out of the same window at (more or less) the same view as the man who wrote Endymion was an experience I wasn't prepared for.

The whole place is amazing and needs a lot more time to explore than its size might first make you think. It was an odd sensation to step off a busy street in Rome and into what felt like an English country house, but one I certainly enjoyed.

On top of this the staff were outstanding; there was a very friendly and helpful Irish lady at the entrance who even had patience with my clumsiness when I lost and then subsequently found my receipt/ticket and the girl sat in the main part of the building was on hand to answer any questions.

I'd recommend anyone with an interest in Keats' work to come here, I confess I'm not as well-versed in Shelley's work but I'm sure it's a must for fans of his as well.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

The rooms are overwhelmed by what looks like Victorian bookshelves, which means that information is placed high up and is difficult to read. Not to mention that the info looks like it was typed out half a century ago. The bookshelves ruin any vestige of what the house looked like when Keats died there. It might be an extensive Keats library, but since the visitor cannot access the books, what is the point in keeping them there? Why not attempt to return the house to its early 19th century state?
I visited when there were private talks (fully booked) going on. I arrived at 2pm and was told I'd have to be out by 3. Fair enough, but I was pestered and followed around from 2.40 onwards, being told I'd have to leave in a few minutes. With all the interruptions, I didn't have time to complete the tour. Shoddy and amateurish. All in all, an unpleasant experience. It's a pity that the place isn't run more professionally, by people who have a clue about curatorship. Don't waste your money.

2  Thank Sylvie206
KeatsShelleyHouse, Manager at Keats-Shelley House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

First of all, we very much regret that the style and decor of the House were not to your taste. You state that "the rooms are overwhelmed by what looks like Victorian bookshelves" and that "the bookshelves ruin any vestige of what the house looked like when Keats died there". When the Keats-Shelley Memorial House was founded at the beginning of the 20th Century, its principal purpose was indeed a library, whose important collection expanded during the following decades, leading it to become the most important research centre for second-generation English Romantic studies in Continental Europe. It's a great pity that so few decorative features survive from Keats's time but as is explained in our (regularly updated) labels and panels across the museum, the things that Keats might have touched in the House were burnt immediately after his precocious death by the local authorities due to the fear of the spread of tuberculosis. And, for people reading this piece who have never visited the House, the bedroom where Keats spent his final months has no bookshelves as that specific space is preserved as a shrine. Moreover, some important things have survived from Keats's time there, such as the ceilings with their painted flowers which Keats viewed as premonitions of the daisies above his own impending tomb as he lay on his death bed, and the marble fireplace by his bed on which Severn cooked meals for his dying friend.

It's regretful too that you found the labels to be placed "too high up", when we have ensured to keep them all at eye level. As mentioned above we regularly update our labels and panels as we move items from the collection around so we can rejuvenate long-term displays, add exciting new loans and acquisitions, and host temporary exhibitions. The very oldest labels in current use date from 2003 and many have been added in the last three years. We do wish we still had some left from 'half a century ago', as you claim, as we'd be so interested to see them, but sadly this is not the case! You wonder also what the use might be of keeping the library at all if the books cannot be accessed: the books may be consulted upon appointment, as clearly specified on our website, and some of the most beautiful and rare editions are routinely displayed for visitors in the showcases, alongside manuscripts, relics, portraits, and other works of art. There are always plenty of things for visitors to see and look at in detail, even if they cannot open the bookshelves.

Finally, it is sheer bad luck that on the day you visited we had an important event at 3 p.m. which necessitated early closure. It is very rare that we close the museum for any reason at all but this just happened to be one of the very few instances this year that we decided to close earlier than usual so as to allow our special event to take place. Our friendly and efficient staff made this very clear in person to all visitors that Saturday, and a large sign was also placed on the front door informing everyone that the museum would close at 3 p.m. on that occasion. We are very sorry if you felt pressured to leave earlier but we do try to ensure that nobody is ever "pestered and followed" at the Keats-Shelley House: we consider our staff to be very well-behaved and visitor-focused, as may be confirmed by the numerous 5-star reviews we have received on this website. On the other hand, you might have felt harassed by the fact that from around 2:40 p.m. onwards the staff were busy preparing the salone of the museum for the event. We are very sorry if this was the case, but the only alternative would have been to leave the museum closed for the whole afternoon, but we really didn't want to do this because we always endeavour to be as open and accessible as possible.

Over all, we are sorry that your enjoyment of the Keats-Shelley House and of Rome was diminished on this occasion. We offer you a complementary visit to the Keats-Shelley House and a complimentary introductory tour by one of the members of staff should you decide to visit the city again.