Open today: 7:00 AM - 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 6:30 PM

from US$121.84
from US$36.55
from US$428.32
More Info
All reviews holy stairs pontius pilate climb the stairs jesus christ marble steps sancta sanctorum holy place lateran palace basilica of st his passion middle ages visit to rome pilgrims jerusalem prayer praying laterano
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 April 2020

Holy Stairs are located in a small church next to the Basilica of St. John Lateran. According to tradition, these are the stairs that Jesus Christ climbed to meet Pontius Pilate before his passion. These stairs were brought from Jerusalem to Rome in 326 by Saint. Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine I. It was at the top of these stairs, in the seat of Pontius Pilate, that Jesus was sentenced to death by crucifixion.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed 4 March 2020

This a must for all who belive. The steps can only be climbed on your knees. there are side steps for those who can not climb on there knees.

Date of experience: February 2020
2  Thank guice g
Reviewed 1 February 2020 via mobile

Due to different religious views that we all have it is up to you to go and climb the stairs which Jesus had to climb to see Pontius Pilate. The golden points are covered with glass because it contains Jesus’s blood.
Very personal experience.

Date of experience: January 2020
2  Thank Katarzyna4243
Reviewed 24 November 2019 via mobile

Visited here being close to the Cathedral of Rome. Very moving, humble and quiet experience. Visited the little chapels around and above the holy steps, but did not climb the actual steps themselves.

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed 16 November 2019

I visited the Scala Santa in September 2019. I walked from Piazza di Spagna to San Giovanni in Laterano which took me about 45 minutes. It was a very hot and humid day. Scala Santa is located across the street from San Giovanni in Laterano. As I entered, I asked the security guard and a priest if I could take a photo. And they allowed me to take a quick photo. I did not have the time to climb up the steps on my knees but my wife had done it many years ago. I hope to do that during my next visit to Rome.

Date of experience: September 2019