I’ll try to make my review as objective as possible. Indeed I have no intention to harm anybody but people must be warned about this place.
Some very important basic facts declared about B&B Vascello are not accurate and lead to the wrong decisions:
- It can’t be classified as a hotel
- It does not fit Bed and Breakfast concept (just bed)
- It is not located in Trastevere area (just nearby).
We are the mature couple with quite a rich experience of travelling around the world. Before coming to Rome for a three-day visit we looked through tons of the accommodation options and studied the TripAdviser and Booking.com reviews. We chose B&B Vascello because it was stated as an affordable B&B hotel in the Trastevere area. Unfortunately we did not understand what the reviews tried to warn us.
The good part:
- The rooms are relatively spacious, recently renovated and clean.
- Beds are comparatively convenient.
- The chiffonier and bedside tables are okay.
- Big old LED TV in every room with selection of Italian channels.
- Reliably working free Internet.
- Flexible check out time (I’m not sure this is universally true but we were approved to stay until the 6:00pm).
The “challenging” part:
- Forget about the room service, reception or any kind of service generally – you have nobody to talk with. The place is not manned– it is operated remotely. As simple as that, nobody is there. You can email the manager or try calling her home phone (even though she speaks very little English she was very helpful arranging our shuttle to and from the airport; we met her only once last minute before the departure when she came to receive the payment).
- You pay only in cash, credit cards are not accepted.
- Actually the place is just the former apartment in the condominium that was artificially split into the three separate rooms. You must carry with you a set of *five* huge keys to open all the doors before you enter or leave the room.
- There is neither table nor armchairs nor sofa in the room. The two wood chairs are not suitable for sitting, so you can only locate yourself in/on the bed.
- There is no air conditioner, only the awkward fan.
- The rooms are terribly dark! Sunlight does not penetrate there.
- Windows are simply broken – I was fighting hours to open or close them. When the window is finally open you are sharing your room with everybody passing by (B&B Vascello is on the ground floor).
- The bathroom is horrible. No ventilation – you must open the window facing towards building entrance so everybody coming looks at you. There is no surface to locate the tooth brushes, shaver and other personal stuff. There is no even a single place for drying a wet towel. Shower cabin is narrow and there is only fixed douche so you can’t hide from the cold water when you just open the flow.
- The breakfast is not served at all. Instead there are coffee capsules, tea packs and plastic packs with nearly plastic croissants on a small coffee table. Even not eatable the amounts were not enough for the whole three day period of our stay.
- Coffee machine and noisy tiny refrigerator are located in the shared hallway – you have no any extra facility in the room.
- The location is not convenient. B&B is situated 2km west and uphill from Trastevere. You can’t simply walk from it to the city center – it is too far. Instead you must use buses or train. Bus stops are quite close but buses do not come regularly so be prepared to waste 30-40 minutes one way. Again - count on walking only if you’re really in the good physical condition.
Unfortunately B&B Vascello is neither a hotel nor an apartment. It is just very basic residence purely overpriced for its minimalist facilities and quite inconvenient location.
I’m definitely not recommending it unless the owners introduce some dramatic improvements (I doubt they will).
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Booking.com so you can book your B&B Il Vascello reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.