“Not value for money”

Ranked #76 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Geneva, Switzerland
“Not value for money”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

For the kind of money this hotel charges per night, I really expected more based on what was advertised. They claim to offer satellite tv but what I saw was probably worse than basic. As an English speaker, when I hear satellite tv I expect at least 10 English channels. The only channels in English were CNN and BBC. Thing is CNN was unwatchable at the time due to some poor reception issues. In addition, the tv set was a model that many are throwing in the garbage. Housed in a neatly built closed cupboard, I expected to see a nice flat scene tv set with HD. Instead, on opening the cupboard door I saw an old tv set that was made ten or so years ago.

As tea and coffee drinkers, my wife and I always try to book a hotel that comes with a kettle and an assortment of teas in the room. Based on what we paid per night, we certainly expected this simple luxury. We were left disappointed.

The in house night time menu was also ridiculous. Feeling hungry one night around 11.45 and with no supermarket or restaurant close enough that I was willing to venture outside, I decided to call room service. All that was available was cheese and/or salami. Now again, when I pay over 200 euros per night for a room I expect better.

On the plus side the room was clean and of acceptable size although the shower could have been a little bigger. The staff was courteous and friendly. In total I would not stay at this hotel again. When you have travelled and stayed at cheaper hotels and received much more, it is difficult to accept that it is alright to spend over 200 euros per night and not have simple comforts like a kettle in your room and proper tv shows to watch after walking around Rome for the entire day!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bookbot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tintagel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed for our visit to Rome for my partners birthday and it was superb. We had one night in the standard room and three nights in the deluxe room . Both were excellent with great facilities, comfortable beds and spotless and beautifully designed bathrooms. The view was definately better in the deluxe room and the addition of the Expresso machine made a world of difference to us. Thank you to Claudia for arranging our change of room. Whilst on the subject of Claudia, we cannot praise her enough. Claudia remembered us by name each time she met us, gave us superb advice on restaurants and how to get to places on foot or by transport. My partner had a personalised cake sent to our room on his birthday again organised by Claudia. The restaurants were ALL excellent and Claudia interpereted our requirements perfectly ( we wanted Roman food, good atmosphere and interesting surroundings) and recommended different areas each night so we saw different parts of the city. All of the staff we met at other times of the day were extremly helpful as well but Claudia did stand out.
The Breakfasts were excellent with a good selection of hot and cold food, the coffee was excellent and our waiter very pleasant and attentive, I think his name was Giacomo, we missed him on his day off!
I would recommend getting to Breakfast before 9.30 as after that the food does seem to get a little sparse that is the only very minor fault that we found. We still had sufficient to eat but just not a great deal of choice on one of the mornings when we went out for an early walk and returned for a later breakfast.
We loved the location of Fortyseven Hotel, a short walk across the river to Trastevere and easy walks to the Pantheon, The Capitoline, and the Roman Forum.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Spent 4 nights at the 47 (27 Feb - 1 Mar), and were very happy. The service was friendly, the location was excellent to explore the city all by foot. The breakfast buffet was well varied, sweet and savoury, there were healthy choices and filling, it was a great fuelling station to get the day started. The rooms were very clean, well maintained, contemporary design. If I had only one negative comment is that the walls between rooms were rather thin. The couple in the neighbouring room watched television until very late, past 1am, and I had to wait until they turned off their TV so I can sleep. We missed out on the rooftop restaurant experience, but we look forward to another stay there next we are in Rome. We tried the steam room on the first night, it was excellent especially if you had a long haul flight and are in need of some humid air to relax the lungs and body. A staff member gave us a city guide, a version for adults and a version for kids. I thought that was so thoughtful and well done. We followed a lot of the sites on the map, they were spot on!

Room Tip: For a quiet night sleep, choose a room NOT facing the street. There are rooms facing the inner court...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Lisboa
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Spent 3 nights at the 47 (31st March-2nd April 2012) and will never choose (if given the chance) another Hotel in Rome. From the staff to the room (had 508 which is excelent) the view the location the breakfast, I have nothing but good things to say about this Hotel.
5stars all around.
will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I can only agree with what other reviewers have said about this hotel, it is fantastic. I arranged with the hotel for a Limo to collect me at the airport, this cost 50euro, 10 euro more than a taxi but well worth it.
The greeting and checking in at reception by Alina was a pleasure, the best check in I have ever had !!
The deluxe room on the 5th floor was really well furnished , spotless and had a balcony with great views. Great en suite with a very good shower.
Buffet breakfast had a good choice of hot & cold food.
The Circus Restaurant on the roof top not only provided spectacular views but the food was excellent as was the service.
The hotel was memorable for all the right reasons I would recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a deluxe with balcony
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple