Palma Residence
US$114
US$348
US$252
  • Breakfast included
Hotel des Artistes(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$146
  • Bar/Lounge
US$854
US$389
  • Restaurant
All reviewssweet pastrythe ground floornear terminicleaned every dayeuro
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel for a fairly last-minute trip to Rome, so we did not have a lot of options. Upon arrival, like many others have noted, we were told that we would need to pay in cash, even though they had a credit card sign and online it said they took credit cards. However, when we said we didn't have enough cash, we were told we could pay later in the stay. However, when that guy was away one day and there was a woman at reception, she let us pay by credit card with no problem.

The air conditioning in the room worked very well, which was great, since it was extremely hot during our stay. There was also a mini-fridge and a tiny television, which we couldn't figure out, so we didn't really bother with it.

The location was very good, within a few blocks of the train station, but on the far side where it was much less hectic. There were a number of walkable places to eat nearby.

The room itself was clean, but there was some mold on the shower doors. Oddly, some lightbulbs were missing from the room, making it a bit dim, especially in the bathroom.

When we arrived, we asked about wifi and were given a network name and password. As it turned out, there were 2 different networks -- one worked for the most part as long as we sat on the end of the bed by the door, whereas the other one was down for all but the first 5 minutes of our stay. The problem with this is that the network that was working was 5GHz and therefore we could not connect to it with our iPhone. We talked to the front desk guy the other network quite a bit, but we kept getting the run around -- he told us that the problem was with the phone, that all of the internet was down, so it wasn't their fault, etc. This annoyed me a bit, as clearly none of these excuses were true. It would have been nice if there was someone there who could have just looked into the problem, restarted the correct router, etc., but oh well, we survived.

Breakfast was also a bit odd. Coffee, juice, and a croissant were brought to the room in the morning, but you could not choose the time. This meant that every morning they'd knock on your door just after 8am, whether or not you wanted to be up then! This would probably be fine for most people, but we were at the end of quite a long trip and didn't like being forced to get up and answer the door so early!

If I could not find a better deal, I would be fine with staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kak80
Reviewed 2 May 2012

First the good stuff:
The Palma Residences location where we stayed (there are three locations) was only 5/10mins walk from the main Termini train station and there was a subway station even closer. There were lots of nice restaurants and snack bars nearby. The room we had was a decent size and very clean with a small fridge and plenty of storage for our clothes, bags etc. The bathroom was very small and had nowhere to store anything but the shower was good pressure and hot and the towels were changed daily. There was a garden area out the front which was nice to sit to relax. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It was great value for being right in the city.
Now for the downsides:
The building wasn't very well insulated so it could be quite noisy with other people coming and going into the hotel and also to the other floors in the building. The bathroom was too small and would be difficult to manouvre around for anyone larger than average. The bathroom was internal with no window and the fan didn't always come on either and a few times there was a 'sewer' type smell which wasn't pleasant. When we booked this, the location seemed to be shown as somewhere else but we had the actual location clarified after we booked. It didn't cause us any problems but the website information could have been clearer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GlasgowGirl76
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Close to Termini station (5 minutes walk), as usual for the neigborhood this hotel has been established in an apartment house through buying a floor. Reception is 24 hours, friendly and flexible. Rooms are nice and comfortable, no problems.

Room Tip: Choose a room which is looking at the internaly yard
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank istvanmolnar
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Firstly I'll start by saying that I was more than slightly worried having booked this accommodation before reading the trip advisor reviews but can safely say that my experience was great.

I went as part of a stag party and we took four rooms in the hotel, upon booking the rooms you can choose whether to book in the hotel or in the hotel annex. I paid a few euros more for the rooms in the hotel but think its worth it.

The rooms were clean, showers hot and the staff were very accommodating. It was quite clear to us that there was no breakfast which was fine with us given the lovely patisserie a few streets away.

As I said, we were there are a stag do and on that basis we weren't looking for luxury but I'd have no issue staying in this hotel again, you get what you pay for and as we paid about 25 euro a night each you couldn't ask for more. The hotel charged 2 euro for a beer and Stefano the manager was more than helpful, stocking up on extra peroni for us!

I can back up the reviewer who said the double beds were singles pushed together but I'd also say I've stayed in much more expensive hotels where this has also been the case.

Just so your aware we booked through booking.com and had no issues at all.

Room Tip: Be aware that rooms listed as annex are not in the main hotel but are in another building around the corner.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tom A
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Ok, here it goes. We had some troubles with our flight and had to save money in the hotel to compensate. This was very cheap (153 euros for 5 nights + tax). Upon entering the room I couldn't help but notice that from the bathroom came a pungent terrible sewer stench. I stopped to think and noticed that there were no covers on the drains, they were all broken, so they became 2 inch wide direct air connections to the Roman sewer.

Proceeding, they had a kitchen and even though they had disposable plates, they didn't have forks or knives or anything else for that matter. We asked for it on the first night, the hotel manager said they didn't have it anymore and throughout our 5 night stay the situation remained the same, being that they didn't replace the missing items.

The room doesn't have heating and it's a big deal if it's 2 or 5 outside. Even though we kept our windows locked all the time, the room was never warm enough.

What's worse is that when it rains the window let's the water into the room, which made our map that was on the table under the window all wet. But I was lucky because I usually kept my laptop on that table.

Oh, I almost forgot. I wanted to pay for the hotel with my credit card and they have a sign on the door that says they take credit cards, but when you ask to pay with it, they say they only take cash. I didn't want to make a scene of it so I just paid with cash, but I felt that this hotel owner must have something very wrong going on in his head.

The double bed was actually two beds placed together and the room was poorly lit and very small.

Overall: DO NOT STAY ON THIS HOTEL unless you have a SERIOUS NEED TO SAVE MONEY. I would not recommend it to ANYONE.

The good thing? Yes. Location. It is 2 blocks from Termini but there are more than 15 hotels on the same area that seem to be better.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple