“Birthday Dinner in Rome”
Review of Piperno

Piperno
Ranked #616 of 12,973 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed 17 August 2017

We have eaten here many times over the years, and is one of our favorites. We had our daughter with us this trip and wanted to celebrate her birthday in style. This is a somewhat formal restaurant, at least for dinner. But they make for a very enjoyable experience. We had some fired appetizers and a mixed salami starter, followed by a seafood risotto, fettuccine with ragu and lamb sweetbreads. All perfect.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Visited on my way back from the Jewish ghetto and on recommendation from my tour guide. Wonderful restaurant kinda tucked into a corner, appeared to be frequented by locals. Ordered carciofi alla guidea, an artichoke dish, also suggested by my guide -- it was unbelievable. Service was impeccable. I asked waiter to bring a glass of wine that he'd drink. The wine he served was wonderful.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

One of the things on my list, whilst in Rome, was to have a meal at this restaurant. Not just any meal - the fried artichoke and zucchini flowers. I would have to say that this dining experience was one of the more memorable ones of our stay in Rome, and possibly all of Italy. The setting is lovely - we sat outside and watched the world go by, enjoying a cool breeze. The waiter who looked after us was keen to ensure that we were enjoying the evening. The wine was very good, and complemented our meal perfectly. We also indulged in dessert - the caramelised almond semi-fredo and the wild strawberries in lemon sauce. They were exquisite! Not our cheapest meal in Italy, but definitely worth the extra for the great food and a memorable experience. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 7 July 2017

Some very good reviews led us here for dinner.
Location is a rather charming square hidden in a back street. We sat inside but outside is probably a better location.
Waiter was initially indifferent especially after he served a hot, and I mean hot, bottle of 75 euros red wine, and I asked for it to be chilled down. He though, did warm up a little as the evening progressed. Food was fair but not marvellous,

2  Thank RabaulUSA
Reviewed 30 June 2017

My boyfriend and I came here for our very last dinner in Italy, so with two weeks' worth of culinary pressure, we were blown away that this place delivered one of our favorite meals. The decor is traditional, the wait staff professional, and the atmosphere classic Italian. We were seated at a table in one of the back rooms that was quiet and private. To start, I had the gnocchi alla fontina and he had their Bresaola Della Casa. I could have stopped after the pasta but, alas, our second course was of beef sliced and arugula for me, Spaghetti Cacio e Unto for him, with a side of Jewish-style artichoke, which is how this restaurant came onto my radar. The artichokes live up to the hype, and I would go back to Rome just for this dish. We planned on skipping dessert, but were so intrigued by the menu item, "Fried Grandpa’ Balls," that our waiter brought out a small order for us to share--I liked them, he didn't, but I also think he may have just had trouble getting over the name! The wine list was on the pricier side, but they offered more affordable bottles. To summarize, a great find off the beaten path serving traditional, delicious dishes for an enjoyable culinary experience. The meal verged on expensive, but we agreed it was money well spent, and a perfect end to the trip.

1  Thank Kelly O

Been to Piperno? Share your experiences!