“Good Chinese food”

Ranked #1,798 of 13,522 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$23 - US$58
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trieste
Description: Il ristorante Città d'Oriente è un accogliente ed ampio ristorante cinese-giapponese, dove Giorgio ed Alba proseguono da oltre 20 anni una tradizione culinaria orientale e accolgono con cura e con pietanze deliziose, tutti i loro clienti. Il nostro ristorante è il posto ideale se volete provare dei piatti particolari, speziati con un tocco di sapienza e abilità culinaria nell'impiattamento. Qui troverete non solo degli ottimi piatti ma anche dei cibi che in quanto a presentazione, non hanno nulla da invidiare a quelli dei migliori ristoranti più stellati.
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

I went there with some friends straight after work. Appetizer, first and second dish. We all tried different things and taste It all. A must is the cocunut fried dessert. Price each was 15. Waiting time for food was normal. Suggested

Reviewed 26 March 2017

I wanted a break from Italian food and suddenly had a craving for Chinese -- this restaurant is not too far from my apartment and had good ratings, so it was an obvious choice. I was grateful that they squeezed me in despite having a full house, since it was quite a walk on a rainy day...But alas it all went downhill from there, despite the sincere efforts of the personnel. First, the menu was a disappointment, because it was even less authentic than Chinese restaurants in other European capitals; a telling sign was that chopsticks had to be asked for, and were never laid out as they normally are in, say, Chinese restaurants in Paris. There were masses of people so we were all seated too close for comfort, and I had a choice between a very loud but diffuse background noise, to the constant chatter of two young girls next to me. But all of this was as nothing compared to the sheer mayhem that followed: most of the waiters were Bangladeshis, whose brave attempts at Italian were only surpassed by the even braver attempts of the (presumably also Bangladeshi) chefs who tried to cook Chinese food at this restaurant. I had to wait more than thirty minutes for my order, because of communication problems between a vast population of waiters, of whom only one, competent and intelligent, managed to save the day. When this arrived, I was aghast: I'd ordered steamed dumplings which usually arrive in a bamboo basket, and are devoid of oil, which is after all the point of ordering steamed food. These (four) dumplings were pan-fried and greasy, and were served from a dish that contained their equally pan-fried and greasy brethren, in much the same was as samosas might be at an Indian restaurant. Oh, and before they arrived, a clueless waiter went around asking who had ordered Cantonese rice (this seemed to be the norm, one had to spot one's dish and stop the said clueless waiter in his tracks and claim it), and when I said I had, he promptly served it to me: of course I sent it back, saying I wanted to eat the dumplings first. This rice was then served again ALONG WITH the dumplings, at which point I was so hungry that I just ate the dumplings without comment. By the time my main course of 'piquant pork' (why don't they give the original chinese names as well?) arrived, the rice was cold and lumpy. So I asked for it to be reheated, which took a while again, by which time I thought it was better to start eating the pork, to prevent IT in its turn from getting cold. The rice finally arrived, warmer, but still lumpy -- I had visions of a huge pot of rice lurking in the kitchen from which dollops were ladled onto plates, without bothering to fluff out lumps -- and really pretty tasteless. The pork was ok, but honestly I can cook better Chinese food! The fact that there were no Chinese guests spoke volumes for the authenticity of the restaurant. But the Fawlty Towers - like waiters were friendly enough, I suppose, and I felt a bit sorry for the owners who are probably doing the best they can with the staff they have. I suppose that I'm in a minority anyway, since judging by the crowds I saw, the restaurant is doing brisk business with people who are not very familiar with Chinese cuisine.

Reviewed 26 October 2015

Hospitality and decent price are the main attractives of this restaurant, which sport very good Chinese food as well since years. They recently added Japanese part to that, resulting in a very interesting alternative for medium range foodies.
Need to book a table, if you dont want to wait for tens of minutes.

Reviewed 8 December 2014

I love this place and go there quite often. I tried most of the foods in the menu, both from Chinese and Japanese cuisine. If you are looking for these cuisines, this is a great place. First of all, the place itself is very modern (and always very crowded, so be prepared for a long line during the weekend), not the stereotypical chinese place. It is very clean, the stuff is pleasant and works hard to guarantee a fast and good service. You can find both the most common options (spring rolls, soy noodles and such), but also more particular foods. Personally, I always go for the black rice with shrimps and vegs, and for the hot grilled calamari. The fried lemon chicken is also very tasty. Portions are quite big and prices are in the norm for a Chinese place. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 2 November 2014 via mobile

Reasonably priced, fast serviced, always plenty of people waiting for tables in weekends, therefore do not forget of making your reservations in advance. Japanese and Chinese kitchen
presented altogether in The menu. Adequate cost-benefit relation.

Been to Citta d'Oriente? Share your experiences!