“Nice meal with lovely touches, not sure if it’s Michelin star standard”
Review of Glass Hostaria

Glass Hostaria
Ranked #613 of 13,337 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$58 - US$82
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trastevere
Description: Glass Hostaria restaurant in Rome’s Trastevere quarter is an eye-full for lovers of superhot modern design. Set in one of Rome’s oldest, most atmospheric neighbourhoods, Glass Hostaria’s fabulous high-concept dining space with its soaring ceilings, open staircase, part-glass floor, sleek seating and stunning gold-filled niches contrasted with raw brick pillars and original beamed ceiling has won accolades and international attention. The Italian menu under the direction of Cristina Bowerman is an inventive balance of then and now, with dishes like starter of foie gras with caramelized bananas (yes, that’s right) and brioche, first course of risotto with oysters, crème fraîche and crunchy artichokes, second course of pork filet with quinoa, smoked tomatoes and orange sauce, and dessert of chocolate cake with rosemary ice cream. The tasting menus are good value and the wine list has over six hundred labels on offer. Hire of this venue would make a superb site for stylish launches or sophisticated parties. The service is excellent and, after dinner, Glass Hostaria turns into a wine bar, so you can linger on and on.
Reviewed 6 February 2018 via mobile

We like to visit a Michelin starred restaurant in most cities we visit, we chose this one as it looked modern and the reviews were all great. We had a lovely meal overall, ordered off the ALC menu, we were greeted with a lovely selection of canapés when we sat down, a lovely touch! The bread and oil olive mousse was a nice idea. We thought it was strange we were then bought over another bread basket half way through the meal.

We both ordered the ravioli which was my favourite pasta dish during my visit to Italy. I had cod for main and my partner had pigeon. I was recommended the cod by the waiter which I was excited for, the taste was bland and I was underwhelmed for £30. The presentation of the pigeon dish was good, however the pigeon leg could have been done to a better standard. The waiter told us it was breadcrumbed and fried however it still had the skin on which wasn’t crispy and the tenants hadn’t been removed. It was chewy and not that great.

We decided against desserts as we were full. Ordered coffees which came with a selection of petit fours, which were all lovely!

When we first sat down the restaurant was quiet as it had just opened and we received efficient slick service, however towards the end of the meal it was difficult to get someone’s attention and took a while to get and then pay for the bill.

Compared to other Michelin starred restaurants we have visited this doesn’t compare however we still had a lovely meal.

2  Thank Megan I
Write a ReviewReviews (1,221)

Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

Glass Hostaria in honestly one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. It is pure perfection: the dishes, the aestetics, the help the sommelier provides in pairing wines to the meal and the atmosphere. All in the heart of Trastevere!

1  Thank GretaBDR
Reviewed 12 January 2018

I went here a couple of weeks ago to celebrate my birthday - I was looking for a special meal and I was not disappointed.

We ordered a la carte: two appetizers, one pasta, two mains, one dessert. For two people with reasonable appetites, that was enough. The foie gras ravioli was one of the best things I have ever eaten. I was hesitant about the sheep prosciutto (thinking it might be mutton-y) but it was delicious - a very interesting combination of flavors and textures.

The wine list is quite good. Not only is it extensive, it has a number of high quality wines at reasonable prices, which I appreciate. I hate when the least expensive wine is both bad quality *and* overpriced! Two minor quibbles: I wish they would post their wine list online (it's not that hard to post a link to a pdf). I mentioned this to the somm and they commented that it changes frequently, but it's not that hard to update a pdf. If anything, posting a high quality list might entice potential customers who were otherwise thinking about different restaurants. Second quibble: given the rich list, it's too bad they do not have a better selection of half-bottles. I usually want a bubbly, a white, and a red, and maybe something with dessert. With full bottles and only two people, I have to choose between a bottle of white and a bottle of red. Sad! The wines by-the-glass section could use some work, too. With Coravin it's not difficult.

Service was also very good - friendly, helpful, and attentive without being intrusive. Everyone spoke excellent English. Special mention: when trying to choose our main courses, we asked the waiter for advice. I really appreciate that he didn't steer us to the most expensive option by default and instead asked us about our tastes and preferences to help us make a selection.

It's a beautiful restaurant in an exquisitely renovated modern space. Like others have commented, I have sat in more comfortable chairs, but that is a very minor complaint. We sat on the upper level which was quite warm; it was much less trafficked than the ground floor though.

When I made the reservation online I included a special note that we had a food allergy and that we were celebrating a birthday. The server was aware of my allergy without me telling him, but the restaurant sadly did nothing to commemorate the birthday - not even a candle in the dessert we ordered. Probably an honest oversight, but a little disappointing.

The bill came to €300 total for two people (the food listed above plus a bottle of wine and two glasses of champagne). Yes, it's a lot, but I thought it was good value considering the quality and experience. I've paid more for less at other Michelin restaurants. Would definitely come back!

2  Thank Jon C
Reviewed 5 January 2018

Our only must do restaurant on our trip to Rome and it didn't disappoint. We opted for a la carte rather than the tasting menu ordering different dishes so we saw a good cross section of what was on offer.
Almost uniformly memorable. The lamb prosciutto starter perfect; both pasta dishes sensational with my foie gras ravioli ....perfect pasta with an almost liquid, unctuous filling counter pointed with a sprinkle of sweet, crunchy amaretto being the standout.Both the woodcock and the lamb mains beautifully presented, well balanced with great flavour impact.
Don't forego desserts as they are quite special. The usual array of extra bits and bobs rounded out a substantial meal.
Only dish that didn't quite work was my confit octopus starter which l thought a little bland and flat and too uniform in texture.
Service was professional but friendly; its a great space and it has what must be one of the best(and certainly best value) wine list in the city. Genuinely helpful sommelier also impressed.
All this and, given the quality of the ingredients and the care being taken, great value.

2  Thank ted m
Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

The meal started off ok. Great presentation. Interesting and tasty take on a pisco sour. We did the smaller tasting menu. Beef tartare was high quality in terms of ingredients but was missing a crescendo while dining. But maybe hat wasn’t the point. I noticed with a couple of dishes that I was still tasting the dishes after I ate and the aftertaste in some instances were surprisingly amazing. So like the 2004 Boston Red Sox, the food was good but I wanted more UNTIL the ravioli with generous heaps of white truffle arrived. This was truly amazing. Truly. Still great. The dessert of deconstructed Baileys ice cream with interesting coffee jello was also truly excellent. Like the 2004 Boston Red Sox, Glass closed out the meal very well.