“My piece of heaven.”
Review of Orto Botanico

Orto Botanico
Ranked #162 of 393 things to do in Bologna
Reviewed 6 July 2018

Not to miss listen to the sounds of nature. Plants and herbs are original. I go there like my piece of meditation.
Thank you the heavens above. When you are hot and bothered this will be your posto bello.... Enjoy and just sit there to observe the beauty

Reviewed 4 July 2018

There are much nicer green spaces in Bologna. We walked here largely because the town is so small that it was hard to get in our usual 3 to 5 mile walk each day without walking to the edges of the tourist map. The plants look rather sad. Best thing is that there are a few benches under some grand trees where one could relax, read a book, enjoy the shade. But please don't go here in search of a great garden.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

Feeling the need for some open green spaces after the closed-in red-brick streets of the city, we set off for the Orto Botanico. What a disappointment - mostly weeds and some untidy grassy areas, with a tiny hothouse and unkempt flower beds. The only thing going for it was that, yes, it was a patch of green, but if I was on the City Tourism Committee I'd seek to either hide this place from tourists, or get to grips and do it properly. I've seen better horticulture on urban roundabouts in the UK.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

Even if it's free to enter, I think Bologna has much better to offer than this botanical garden.
Being winter time we were expecting anything special already but it still managed to disappoint us. The main greenhouse was closed as it seems thieves used to be regular visitors so we just managed to see something through the glass. We haven't seen any gardeners or members of staff around while we were there.
Rather than leaving the gate open and unattended, they could start charging a small fee and have the place looked after a bit more actively.

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

For those that follow my reviews you know I like to visit botanical gardens. Located in a walkable distance from the city centre on the university campus, the garden is small and needs a lot of work but has potential if invested in. They don't charge a fee but a donation tin is at the entrance. A number of staff were working hard, my view was to give a decent donation and ask others to do the same. Hopefully if we all help the garden will improve.

4  Thank James F