“Wow! Perfect. ”

Belmond Hotel Splendido
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Portofino
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

This may be our new favorite hotel in all of Italy. Everything was luxury from the room to the food to the service. You really can't beat the views.

The shuttle service that they have to take you into the village of Portofino makes everything so easy.

There is a piano player every evening which was super fun.

We will be back for sure.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KHernan
DeMegni, Direttore generale at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Traveller,

Thank you very much for your kind feed back. We really hope to welcoming you back again soon for another memorable visit.

Best regards,

Belmond Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare

Reviewed 15 October 2017

It is an exceptional place. With an exceptional view, very good service.
Having worked in the business and travelling a lot, we do understand that F&B make an important contribution to the P&L.
However, wine by the glass for 24.- Eur, where the bottle costs about 10.- in a shop is a bit hefty.
Especially as in Italy the mark up usually is about 150%, the prices here are excessive.
Food was OK. No as good as I had remembered from some years back.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank su103

Dear Traveller,
First of all let me thank you for sharing with us your kind note, and happy to hear your stay was enjoyable.
Eventhough the price of the wine you are mentioning is clearly stated on the list, I understand your point of view and I take a very good note of your comments, also about the food.
In case you wish to receive more information, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
With the hope to welcoming you again soon I remain,

Belmond Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare

Reviewed 14 October 2017

We had heard about the Splendido and dined there, but never stayed. What a magical experience. There was exquisite art in our bathtub! Food and service were superb, and the staff went out of their way to help us celebrate our special anniversary. Bellissimo!

Stayed: September 2017
DeMegni, Direttore at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Dear travelerwayne1997,

first of all let me thank you to have shared your 'Splendido Experience' with all the TripAdvisor community.
It is a great pleasure to read you enjoyed so much your stay from your room to our typical food and caring staff.
Our Guests' satisfcation is what keeps motivating us to try our best.
I will extend your kind and positive words to all the Belmond Splendido & La Terrazza Team.

We are all looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again in the nearby future in Portofino and to render you next stay even more Splendido!

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Difficult to add to other reviews which are so positive. Excellent service, location, salted pool, decent size room and great restaurant. Only critism were not having a choice of pillars; all too soft and on occasion bar service a trifle slow.

Room Tip: Has to be sea view
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
DeMegni, Direttore at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Dear Peter R,

first of all let me thank you to have shared your 'Splendido experience' with all the TripAdvisor community.
It is a great pleasure to read you enjoyed so much your stay!
All the Splendido team is honoured to read your kind and positive words. Our Guests' satisfcation it is what keeps motivating us to try our best.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

My wife and I, and other relatives, stayed at the Belmond Splendido Mare for 3 nights. This is a smaller, sister hotel on the waterfront. Unfortunately, Ferrari was conducting a car show there (for its new Portofino model) and blocked off several of the streets and the waterfront area for 2 nights. That ruined some of the glamor of the stay. Even without the car show, I think that staying at the sister property on the hill, the Belmond Hotel Splendido, would be preferable. That is a stunning property with great views and a swimming pool. There was a free shuttle bus that would take you between the hotels, so all facilities were available to guests at either location.

My room (number 511) was comfortable. My wife and I had a balcony that overlooked the street (and the Red Carpet during the car show). It was good for sipping wine and people watching. The staff was friendly and helpful (to me), and spoke excellent English. However, my sister-in-law who organized the trip had problems with the Assistant Manager with dinner reservations and his condescending attitude towards her. She had to speak to the General Manager at the Belmond Hotel Splendido about the issues.

The breakfast buffet was OK, but not too extensive. You could order eggs, pancakes, etc. from an a la carte menu. The food was good. We enjoyed eating in the outside area with a (limited due to the car show) view of the waterfront.

I had laundry done here (shirts, socks and underwear). The laundry service was the most expensive of any of the hotels I stayed at during my nearly 3 weeks in Italy, including other 5-star hotels. The fact that no prices were provided in the room should have been my clue.

The hotel is a short walk, about 0.1 miles, from the shuttle bus stop and car park.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
DeMegni, Direttore at Belmond Hotel Splendido, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Dear jandc8491

first of all let me thank you to have shared your 'Splendido Mare Experience' with all the TripAdvisor community. We are always looking for ways to improve our service, and our Guests comments and suggestions, whether positive or negative, are an invaluable part of that process.

It is a great pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay from your room to our Splendid locations, from all our facilities to our caring and trained staff.

On the other hand, I am very sorry to learn our Hotel in general did not reach your expectation. After an investigation with the departments involved I would like to inform you as follows:

-Upon arrival at the Splendido Mare we tried to allocate to you the most quiet rooms as request by your Travel Agency and furthermore we have upgraded two out of four of your rooms to an higher category in order to render your stay even more ‘Splendido’.

-Regarding the Ferrari Event, we are really sorry for the inconveniences it may have caused to you. Being a private event organized by Ferrari and the Municipality of Portofino, we could have not do anything about it but warning all our Guests through email as we also did with you.

-For the inconvenience your sister-in-law had experienced with our Asssitant Manager since it did happen, right now, I can only ask you to extend to her our most sincere apologies once more.

In any case, I want to thank you once again to have bring these issues to our attention, a very good note has been taken about your kind feedback.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon in Portofino and we remain at your total disposal.

With my very best regards

Belmond Hotel Splendido & Splendido Mare - Portofino

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portofino
0.1 km away
3.3 km away
Hotel Santa Margherita Palace
Hotel Santa Margherita Palace
#6 of 20 in Santa Margherita Ligure

Been to Belmond Hotel Splendido? Share your experiences!