All reviews fitness center grand hotel villa serbelloni self catering these apartments small balcony enjoyed our stay lake como toiletries
Reviewed 6 October 2015

I picked this place for the location. I wanted somewhere walking distance from the action in Bellagio, yet in a quiet area. The grounds are beautiful. We enjoyed swimming in the pool, and even took a dip in the (chilly) lake. A highlight of our stay was a picnic dinner on the terrace, overlooking the lake.

I was impressed with the honesty of the house-keeping staff. Upon returning from our morning walk, we were greeted by the house-keeper and her managers...both with very solemn faces. We wondered if some one had died. It turned out that while cleaning a cell phone had been bumped off the bed, fell to the floor and cracked. There were smiles all around when we explained that the crack was old, from a previous fall. Although the housekeeper had done no damage to our phone, we were very impressed with her honesty.

Some of the reviews below gave me pause, by their comments about being treated inferior to the guests of the sister hotel. This was not at all the case for us. Our group of 12 arrived in 2 vans, exhausted and cranky from the flight from Chicago. The bellman was wonderful, driving with us to the Residence. The concierge and front desk staff treated us very well, as did the pool staff.
TIP: Driving to the hotel through the pedestrian area is a bit tricky the first time. Fear not, and drive through.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
5  Thank smurer2016
Reviewed 15 June 2015

While planning a return visit to beautiful Bellagio on Lake Como, I found that the lake front hotels had all been fully booked. But, Trip Adviser indicated that the Residence L'Ulivo had an available apartment, so I looked at the online photos of the accommodations, and decided to go for it. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made with regard to choosing vacation lodging. Though I did not fully understand it when I booked the reservation, the residence a part of the large complex that is the Villa Serbelloni -- the town's grandest and most beautiful hotel. It sits just behind the main hotel, one level higher than Bellagio's lake front, and on the same level as a main shopping/dining street. As a guest at Residence L'Ulivo, we had access to any of the hotel's services we wanted, and those hotel services proved to be criticallly important to us.

We drove to Bellagio from Venice, and the trip was uneventful until our arrival. Pulling onto the grounds of the Villa Serbelloni, our rental car suddenly began emitting noxious black smoke from under its hood, causing us to exit the brand new vehicle as quickly as possible, fearing it was about to explode into flames. The hotel's staff leaped to our assistance, quickly removing our possessions a safe distance away and directing me to the concierge desk. At the desk, I encountered a wonderful gentleman who spoke flawless English, and who, over the subsequent 24 hours, handled every aspect of our crisis for us. He reported the incident, arranged for the car to be picked up, arranged for a replacement car and ensured that this was all done on a schedule that would not prevent us from enjoying Bellagio and the other lake communities. The fact is that except for approving the arrangements he made on our behalf, I was barely inconvenienced by a problem that without his capable assistance could have disrupted most of our available time in Bellagio. Be assured that when they advertise that guests at the Residence L'Ulivo have access to the services of the main hotel, they mean exactly what they say. They were brilliant!

With the crisis being resolved, we proceeded to our apartment and found it to be very clean, beautifully furnished -- including a kitchenette with working appliances, dishes, cookware, etc. -- and completely comfortable. To our great delight, it also featured breathtaking views of Lake Como, with snow-peaked Alps in the background, from both the living room and bedroom windows. We found the apartment to be even nicer than the website photos caused us to expect. We were guests for three nights, and everything about our stay in Bellagio, including the apartment, was perfection. Perhaps I will stay at the main hotel on a future visit, just for the boasting rights. But, considering the reasonableness of its cost, the services provided, the quality of its furnishings, and the spectacular views outside its windows, the Residence L'Ulivo has plenty about which it could also boast. Since the staff is far too dignified and circumspect to ever do that, let me do it for them. The Residence L'Ulivo is a great discovery, easily worth its reasonable cost (which included free parking), and it provides easy access to Bellagio and its many charms.

Room Tip: According to the staff with whom I spoke, each apartment at the residence has wonderful views, so I think they would qualify as "good rooms."
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
13  Thank Kenneth H
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I've never stayed in, or heard of, a place like this. The main hotel is a fabulously ornate gem of a place, with indoor and outdoor pools, spa, gym, restaurants and lounge, and you have the run of it for a very, very reasonable price. We had a one room apartment, very large and fairly well equipped.

Surprisingly, maintenance was a little iffy as we had multiple malfunctioning lights in our room, the kitchen lacked some useful pieces, and there were no sheets for the folding bed in the living room. But all of these things were quickly remedied with a call or visit to the front desk.

This is not a criticism of the hotel, but there isn't anything like a supermarket in the vicinity. For those traveling via car, I'm sure there are places you can go to stock up on supplies, but if you are on foot as we were you have to pick among a couple of very small grocers. We frequented two stores, and managed to patch together salad and pasta dinners, but you may be challenged to find the ingredients you want. However, you'll save a lot compared to some of the indifferent restaurants you have to choose from here.

Also, we had a lovely dinner in the "casual" restaurant overlooking the pool and lake. The staff was very, very accomodating to our 10 year old niece and the food was among the best we had on our trip. For the quality and the setting, the restaurant was very reasonable.

We didn't visit the lounge for the evening entertainment, but we also didn't have the "resort wear" or more formal clothing that people staying in this kind of place tend to choose.

I really can't imagine a better place to stay in Bellagio or Como unless you are paying full freight to stay in the top-dollar hotel itself.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank borso b
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The location of the apartment is fantastic, just a very short walk to downtown and the lake (less than 5 minutes). It is located in the grounds of the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, and as a guest you have access to the hotel amenities which are great: beautiful garden, small children's playground, outdoor and indoor pools, gym, restaurant, etc.
I think that I expected the accommodations to be just a little bit more lux considering it is part of Hotel Serbelloni. We stayed in apartment 10, which I would recommend as it is in the corner and has lake views from every window. The furniture is very basic and outdated, but everything was very clean. Unfortunately a few things did not work for us... like the wifi and the heater. But the weather was nice during our stay so it wasn't a huge deal. If you are traveling with toddlers, they offer baby cribs but the model looked a little bit like a death trap lol. Not going to lie, I was a little nervous at first, but our kid is only 15 months and sleeps in a sleepsack. Without a sleepsack I think he would have been able to climb out easily. I will post a picture of the crib for reference. I also wish we could order room service, but they don't cater to L'Ulivo.
It's easy to access with a stroller, there is a path that takes you up to the first floor apartments (so no need to climb stairs). If you are staying on the second floor then you would have to access by stairs. The apartments on the first floor share a large balcony with chairs and tables.
Regarding service, we had fantastic service throughout. All requests go through the staff at villa serbelloni, and we never felt like they treated us rudely for staying at their 'cheaper' apartments. They always went above and beyond, very satisfied.
If we came back we would definitively consider staying here again, just because the main hotel is so beautiful and easy to access. I would love to come during the summer to use their gorgeous outdoor pool. It was freezing cold in May since it is not heated.
Overall it was a lovely family vacation, and a great spot to travel with kids which I didn't expect. We felt very welcome and look forward to hopefully returning next year.

Room Tip: Room 10 has lake views from the living room and bedroom. Stay in the first floor to have direct access to the large outdoor terrace.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gabysf
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This accommodation is absolutely perfect for exploring Lake como, the apartments are clean, and seviced very well every day. The views are amazing, and the whole "lake" experience is second to none. However. The rude staff members will result in me giving this place 1 star. Added to the fact that reception closed early one day and on our return we could not collect our room key. 45 minutes later we were inside, an unreasonable wait for a simple task. "Take it with you", I hear you say? With a 5kg brass dongle welded to the key, this was impossible. I would rather stay in a hotel in bellagio or in Como than at this place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple